1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    Dental floss. I know it's good for what it's intended for. A Cliff bar can wreak havic if stuck in the tooth.

But!!! A one inch 1000 ft! spool is good for many other options. Like stringing a bush to bush space blanket hanger. The stuff is beyond strong and weighs nothing. Never needed it but some Desert racing Gal suggested it so I carry it.
    new to this thread, but on a local forum a hardcore biker said he uses dental floss and a needle to repair tears in the sidewalls of tubeless tires. Once you have sewn the tear, you can install a patch and the tire will hold tubeless. He said dont use the waxy glide floss though, it is too slick.

mtbr member
    good thread thanks

mtbr member
    This thread helped me alot on my first ride, luckily I saw this before I went out and took all the right stuff, thanks to the OP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Useful info . thanks

Mountain Starfish
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, this is a helpful checklist!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

why didn't i think of that?

walkie-talkies (GRMS?) for everyone - spare batteries. brilliant - should have thought of that myself. another thread to print, save in a 3-ring binder, and read before my next ride.

thanks, jim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    a take the basic: pump, patches, levers and multitool.. thats all folks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    Alien2 with chain breaker and pedal wrench etc.
    Pump, presta/schrader compatible.
    2 tubes.
    Zip ties
    Tire levers
    Patch kit - unopened glue.
    Fiber spoke. Will repair even rear drive side without tools.
    Derailleur cable
    Derailleur hanger
    Brake pads
    Chain links
    Quick link
    Small flashlight
    Matches
    Duct tape
    Electrolyte tablets
    Pain killers
    Small Leatherman with pliers

Might seem like a lot, but where do you ride? Around here there's thousands of acres of empty space, with no cell reception. In the off-season I see no one all day. The walk out could be really long.

It's also good to be able to assist others.
    Haha so many pain killers.
    Anyway, for a short one or two hour ride, would you recommend still taking all that stuff?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ain't got half that stuff. Better start buying and packin'

yep
    Nice, I've been wanting to get a list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great resource!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My riding load out consists of: extra tube, pump, patch kit, some energy gel, tire irons, camelback, shock pump, always carry my iPhone,and wallet with ID.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    usefull!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Helpful thread ! I think the full list of packing might be a bit much though

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Amazing must-haves. I never considered taking the majority of things suggested. I'm a complete newbie and glaringly clear I have a long way to go before I understand the sport. LOL - Moving from beach cruisers and boardwalk rides to mountain biking is a huge leap but it's going to be fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Useful info. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    very useful great thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    very helpfull

Gumnut Peddler
    Now that it is starting to get really hot, I have also added some ORS (hydrolyte) to my stash of gear.
    Dehydration can come on really quickly if you are focusing too hard on the ride, and not on your body or your mates. I have had one friend already stop sweating on a ride this summer. He didnt even realise he had stopped sweating or how bad it was until after the ride and he fell over trying to put his bike in the car.

Plonked him in the shade, dumped a heap of water over him and pumped him full of fluids and he started to get some colour again. His parter came and took him home and threw him in the shower, pumped him full of more ORS and then headed off to the docs for a check up.

Dehydration is serious. If you are riding where it gets really hot, I highly recommend some ORS in the pack. Doesnt weight much, but can be a saviour for you or your riding partner.

I have also been effected by dehydration from a ride. Took me almost 2 weeks to recover and I was nowhere near as bad as my mate. This was from a ride I drank a heap on too.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Just an observation after reading through a few lists: while it is important to have the essential materials and that it is better to be over prepared than under prepared (I learned this the hard way) it is also important to keep your pack light. A heavy pack is going to wear you down and slow you down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You guys seem to bring a lot of "interesting" things. :P.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    thats a great post chris. i really think that a sticky like this would be helpful to all newbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    So, master bike fixer, what would you do with this real life on the trail situation? We decided there was no real on-trail fix, but the guys were ready to dismantle the brakes on someone's second bike when we got back to the campground. I voted to go home.

running a mechanical avid disc brake? Id be sure that I bought the avid levers that are reversible. if I brake the rear lever, no big deal ,front does bulk of the stopping. if I brake the front, stop on the trail and swap the lever over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you very much for this handy list!! Awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    running a mechanical avid disc brake? Id be sure that I bought the avid levers that are reversible. if I brake the rear lever, no big deal ,front does bulk of the stopping. if I brake the front, stop on the trail and swap the lever over.
    You do bulk of your braking with the front? I grew up racing BMX so maybe that's why I'd rather have a working rear brake over front any day. Just do a little footjam if you need to front brake in a hurry anyways

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast