1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    This is going to be a very useful thread for when I get to riding again. I can't believe how unprepared I used to be. All I used to bring with me was water and music.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What I carry on every normal ride usually 1-3 hours

On the bike...
    Insulated Water Bottle
    Mini Pump
    Under Saddle Bag w/patch kit, tire levers, CO2 gun with 2 carts

In hydration pack (2 liter)
    Spare tube
    Multi Tool (includes chain breaker)
    Cliff Bar/Energy Gel
    Poncho/Plastic bag (Poncho for me, bag for cell phone/wallet etc)
    2 extra CO2 carts

New personal rule... If I start a ride that I haven't done before and unfamiliar with after 12pm... Taking the bike light.

Gear
    Helmet
    Gloves
    Bike Shorts
    Last edited by vanwo23; 09-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    13 Trek Superfly100 AL Elite
    06 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice list, I've never needed my head light, but I wouldn't ride without it. There is nothing quite like a 3-hour tour.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You know what would be nice is if some company sold complete "ride kits" in various levels of included equipment and supplies.
    I know it would be difficult because everyone has their own preferences and bikes of course, but it would be pretty cool to just be able to go a buy a complete, ready to pack and ride kit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very good

Alaska Grown
    Aug 2012
    Be sure your first aid kid has iodine or some other form of sterilization, infections are nasty bits of work
    If I get sad I stop being sad and start being awesome

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    read

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the info y'all

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for the info

KOL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Water and a first aid kit for all rides. Depending on how long your ride is going to be and how many in your group, you can distribute the repair tools and parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm such a pack rat. I can't seem to stop myself carrying enough to survive a disaster on the side of a mountain... even though most of the time I'm just on local trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think its better to be prepared and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I actually do carry a really small survival pack with me just to stay in the habit of having with me at all times.

Just curious - how much does all this stuff weigh? (not including water of course). Tubes, pumps, tools, bag(s), FAK...my hiking backpack (for 1-3 hr hikes) weighs at about 15lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I forgot to mention - I took a Wilderness First Aid class held by the Red Cross a few years ago - those of you who would like more first aid info; I HIGHLY recommend it. Most of the folks who backpack and camp counselors take this course, but it is really designed for folks who will be 45min. away from a hospital. When you're on a trail and something serious happens, 911 isn't going to get you very quickly (especially if cell phone coverage is spotty).

For rides more than half a day, at a minimum I would carry something like the REI Dayhiker first aid kit, then supplement it. There are lots of YouTube videos on first aid kits.

If all you know how to do is stick a bandaid on, I think you'll find the wilderness first aid course to be very useful on how to use a first aid kit and in what situations.

Village Newbie

If I am gonna be out for an hour or moreduring the summer I take this.

Still needed are another form of ID & ICE instructions, ID tags, spare link, snake bit & bee sting kit. stowable jacket and solar blanket. Still need some armor for my knees and elbows and pelvis. I see lots of things here that I'll really look into because its better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. Already added a few things that I didnt have b4.

In my Hydration Pack/Backpack.

1 12hr green light stick.
    Recon Tanto CS, tied upside down on the right side, accessible w/o removing packing.
    20 feet of 550 paracord
    Some precut strips Tyvek envelope, very tough. Consider for use with a sidewall gash/large hole in tire that I have to use a tube for that Stans wont seal. I am not walking if I dont have to.
    Co2 cylinders
    patch kits
    Chain breaker
    Multi tool for bike
    29er Tube
    Green flashing strobe light/built in whistle
    tire levers (3)
    Energy Gel
    Nuun electrolite tablets
    Candy-for low sugar
    zip ties
    camo compact w/ mirror
    Duct tape
    magnesium & striker
    First aid kit don't have any H2o2 or iodine but most everything else. Feminine pads & tampons for blood loss only, I have some medical training that Uncle Sam taught me. ETA: I got some liquid bandage with antiseptic and a Snake & bee sting/bite kit.

My back pack without water weighs in at 5lbs. Water is a consumable, its weight is not relevant.
    I leave my route with someone and let them know I'll be back before dark, if not start looking.

On me at all times:
    Some form of a handgun for snakes and dangerous animals 2 & 4 legged kinds(CCW) We have Mountain Lions & Black Bear. Confronted by a black bear 2x I was scared
    Gloves
    Helmet
    Safety yellow reflective vest
    Rear view helmet mirror
    Flashing front/rear lights-Clear & Red
    Cell phone
    Padded shorts
    Do-Rag

Will be interesting to see what the winter ride brings whether I need to make changes or not, I havent ridden in the winter yet, just have my summer pack made out- because I just started biking.
    Last edited by SlickWilly8019; 10-26-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: updates

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    good idea

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    These beginner stickies are extremely helpful!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I didn't read all 21 pages, but I'm hoping somebody mentioned extra ammo! One clip is never enough
    Bone stock 2012 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not sure if its been mentioned but I discovered today that some toilet paper would be good to have in the pack.

Hoping to get my ccw soon too to add to my survivalist items.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    good stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Ankle weights for training, water bottle

Offroader
    Anybody can recommend a good multitool with chain breaker?

mtbr member
    This has been an informative thread. good sticky.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast