1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the excellent list. Keeping many of these items with me when I ride has made a lot of potentially unpleasant situations much nicer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the info! great list!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    It's depends on the ride but this things will always be in my CB -
    1. Spare tubes
    2. Tire levers
    3. Pump (Topeak)
    4. Mini Tool (Topeak or Park-Tool)
    5. Chain Tool + Power Links (Park-Tool - Sram)
    6. Phone
    7. Water
    This my MUST take for any ride from 1 - 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm agree with the second post in this thread! Oh camelbak is better than bottles

mtbr member
    Hi guys

As somebody who is just getting started in biking and am reading through the posts here I was wondering where do you guys keep all this stuff?

I bought a small bag that fits under the seat where I could keep I.D and my phone. I see alot of guys carry multi tools. What are some of the best ones to carry? I would love to know how to change out a link on my chain if I had too. Maybe as I get some more experience with my bike I will be able to do it someday. But for now I think If anything breaks I will have to take it to the local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Hi guys

As somebody who is just getting started in biking and am reading through the posts here I was wondering where do you guys keep all this stuff?

I bought a small bag that fits under the seat where I could keep I.D and my phone. I see alot of guys carry multi tools. What are some of the best ones to carry? I would love to know how to change out a link on my chain if I had too. Maybe as I get some more experience with my bike I will be able to do it someday. But for now I think If anything breaks I will have to take it to the local bike shop.
    I personally keep my stuff in a bag on my rear luggage rack... I had a small bag for under the seat too for a while that held all I needed.

If you ride with a camelbak as your water supply, you can usually fit most of the stuff in there if you have one with the extra pockets and strorage. Otherwise a small backpack or larger bag to hang on your bike somewhere will hold all you need.

Changing a link is easier than you think. Next time you replace your chain, keep the old one, buy a chain tool and go at it. with a lil practice you will master it in no time. Your LBS may also be able to provide you with some old chain you can use to practice. Just ask them. One of my LBS holds a teaching to fix your bike clinic as well as the local bike rescue groups, another way to learn how to fix your own bike, keep an ear out for those as well.
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (My DD)
    2006 Mongoose XR-75 with a few goodies
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

mtbr member
    Cheers for the tips bandit1. Great idea on keeping the old chain to practice on.

As far as brand for a multi tool ( and chain tool ) what would you suggest ?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have an el cheapo from my local walmart, it works fine for me, but I would get a better quality one like one from park tools or some where. Check your LBS and see what they carry, its gonna be better than one from walmart... I had to return mine once already becasue it broke after the 3rd use less than 48 hours after purchase. No problems on the exchange, but I would deff consider one that your LBS carries. It would be well worth the money spent over the $5 walmart one.

I am planning on replaceing my cheap walmart tools with some better quality ones as soon as my funding allows me to. I only bought them cuz I needed something quick and cheap for the time being, and for now they work fine.
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been reading a lot on the forum lately after borrowing a friend's bike and hitting a few trails. Needless to say I'm hooked! There were several items listed that we brought along....and used, others that I need to invest in. Thanks, everyone, this site has been a wealth of information!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good to lnow

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for this

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great idea

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Been riding for a month and had a very limited pack.. yesterday about 40 mins into my ride I caught a stick in the rear wheel area which snapped and busted up my rear derailer. My question is.. being new to the sport, if I had a chain tool, could I have removed the derailer and just ridden it as a single speed out..assume so? The couple mile hike out was not nearly as fun as riding. Think I am going to expand my tools and pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good ideas for the beginner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    great thread!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Has anyone listed twinkies and dr pepper yet? I would think these would be crucial as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good info

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ctimbs View Post
    Has anyone listed twinkies and dr pepper yet? I would think these would be crucial as well.
    Twinkies I could see, they last forever and a day, but wouldnt the Dr Pepper get a bit flat or explode on anything other than a paved trail?
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some things I would have never thought to bring in there. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great ideas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Hi guys

I have one of these, and I love it! Nashbar - Nashbar Frame Pack Bag

What I carry in it:

Nashbar "All Rounder' hand pump (also comes with a bottle cage mount bracket)
    Nashbar Multi-tool
    2 Tire Levers
    Patch kit
    Small roll of Gorilla Tape
    A few zip ties

With all that I still have room for my keys, cash/ID, and Razr Maxx phone in a small neoprene camera case that I had that fits the phone perfectly.

FYI - If I carry the phone w/out the case Ican fit my whole wallet as well, but I prefer to keep the phone in the case, for added protection, especially if I get caught in the rain.

I don't have a spare tube yet, but back in the day I used to carry one tied up between my seat rails.

One thing about that bag, in the photo it looks black, but in reality it's more of a dirty silver or pewter type color, which actually goes decenlty with my bike. But looks aside, it gets the jobe done very well.

And another idea I had was if you have multiple bottle mounts and only run one cage (or use a CB and don't carry bottles), bolt up a cage ( I'm thinking the seat tube location would probably be the better one) and use a large mouthed bottle to hold all this stuff. I'm thinking you could fit a ton of stuff in the right sized bottle if you packed it well. And maybe run a velcro strap or something around the bottle and seat tube for added insurance to make sure you don't lose it.

I plan on trying this at some point, prob after I get a CB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    another good read. Will definitely consider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great info, especially for a beginner that is getting into the sport

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am working on going through the whole thread and compiling a list of the most common items repeated and the ones not repeated... with work scheadule, I should have it done in a month or so. Just started last week.
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My kid wiped out and bent her RD hanger. We limped home and stopped at bike shop for repair. Maybe I will get a straightening tool.
    Last edited by Karl Smith; 08-02-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: My text turned to a link. ????

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast