1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
    well with a background of 6 years military service, one being in Iraq, and having gone through all the first aid training they give you in addition to 4+ year with the Civil Air Patrol doing field ops and first aid training, I sure hope I know how to use the FAK I carry with me. LOL... I know not everyone has the oppertunity to get the extensive training that I was afforded, but it is a good idea to team up with your local Red Cross or like organization to get even basic CPR and First Aid training done.
    Ha yea id say that's some pretty good experience!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    and whats funny is that of all the first aid training, it is the basics that stick with you no matter what. If you can remember the basics, you can save a life. I was even afforded the training in water rescue/life guard training. Not much I will not run towards to lend a helping hand if I feel I have enough knowledge and experiance to make a difference.

The basics in first aid boils down to common sense: clean the area, stop the bleeding, seek medical treatment if needed. If blood flow is a high volume, get the wound above the heart as much as possible. And call 911.
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (My DD)
    2006 Mongoose XR-75 with a few goodies
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

Trigger
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    So, master bike fixer, what would you do with this real life on the trail situation? We decided there was no real on-trail fix, but the guys were ready to dismantle the brakes on someone's second bike when we got back to the campground. I voted to go home.

carry a small flat head screw driver and a little hammer to wedge it into the plastic of the remaining brake lever. that should do it, in my humbled opinion.
    if its a form of metal, i.e. steel or aluminum. then i dont know.
    just a pointer.
    Last edited by TheSuperV; 07-06-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Trigger
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit1 View Post
    only one problem... no tj max around me... but I do have a Harbor Freight and of course Walmart. I am just waiting on the money to align itself with the stars so I can go get something. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    try marshals and ross too then if you have those, and no worries there! just trying to help a fellow enthusiast. have you tried a militry surplus store? camelbacks and packs can be bought there. just a thought for everyone there too in case they need one also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperV View Post
    try marshals and ross too then if you have those, and no worries there! just trying to help a fellow enthusiast. have you tried a militry surplus store? camelbacks and packs can be bought there. just a thought for everyone there too in case they need one also
    swapmeets, garage sales, or craigslist?

as a matter o' fact, I just saw a camelbak lobo for sale on craigslist for $30. new, tags and all. I have my HAWGNV or else I would have picked it up. I was a bit tempted to just buy it and give it away to someone, though.

meow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Awesome

This is really helpful thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Insightful, thanks!

Trigger
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iamunchien View Post
    swapmeets, garage sales, or craigslist?

as a matter o' fact, I just saw a camelbak lobo for sale on craigslist for $30. new, tags and all. I have my HAWGNV or else I would have picked it up. I was a bit tempted to just buy it and give it away to someone, though.

meow.
    Exactly! you know where im heading with this. If you do some digging youre bound to find any little goodies :3

Trigger
    Jul 2012
    And welcome to all that I may have helped

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very helpful

Trigger
    Jul 2012
    Every body helped lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a pocket leatherman (keyring size) that has come in handy more than once in the past while out riding. Really easy to add to a travel pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I actually made a laminated checklist. It's just too easy to forget that one thing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Plus I guess you can use a dry erase marker to check down the list...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Chain link

Dont forget the snap on chain link.

Good thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good info.

mtbr member
    any hints on what brand of camelback/bladder is recommended?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BEN_HUR View Post
    any hints on what brand of camelback/bladder is recommended?
    any that fits and is comfortable for you... I use the real deal Camelbak issued to me from the military, but I have another shell that would work if I can get a bladder for it. The other one has the extra pockets and stuff were as the one I use now does not.

I have only ever used or owned a camelbak from the "Camelbak" company. I can not speak for any of the off brand options. I love my camelbak, and recamend them to everyone that asks me about mine.

But any Camelbak/hydration pack that you like and is comfortable to wear for you will do the trick... the key is the larger the resevor, the more water you can carry.

I personally use the largest one they have at 3L. That translates into 6.61 pounds of water.

it breaks down like this: Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon, 3 liters is 0.793 gallons. When you do the math, 8.34X0.793 you get 6.61362 pounds for 3 liters of water.

So if you are concerned about weight, then this is something to keep in mind when picking out your pack. Not all packs carry 3L of water, they do make smaller ones down to about 0.5-1L in resivore size.

You can pick them up at your local walmart, or other department store where they sell sporting goods. you can also find them just about anywhere online.
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (My DD)
    2006 Mongoose XR-75 with a few goodies
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nice thread - thanks to the contributors. Some great stories too

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    +1 Great thread and tips! Thanks.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=bandit1;9494031]any that fits and is comfortable for you... I use the real deal Camelbak issued to me from the military, but I have another shell that would work if I can get a bladder for it. The other one has the extra pockets and stuff were as the one I use now does not.

I have only ever used or owned a camelbak from the "Camelbak" company. I can not speak for any of the off brand options. I love my camelbak, and recamend them to everyone that asks me about mine.

But any Camelbak/hydration pack that you like and is comfortable to wear for you will do the trick... the key is the larger the resevor, the more water you can carry.

I personally use the largest one they have at 3L. That translates into 6.61 pounds of water.

it breaks down like this: Water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon, 3 liters is 0.793 gallons. When you do the math, 8.34X0.793 you get 6.61362 pounds for 3 liters of water.

So if you are concerned about weight, then this is something to keep in mind when picking out your pack. Not all packs carry 3L of water, they do make smaller ones down to about 0.5-1L in resivore size.

You can pick them up at your local walmart, or other department store where they sell sporting goods. you can also find them just about anywhere online.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the advice.....much

mtbr member
    Much appreciated

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Very Nice

This is more than helpful for people like me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nice

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thx for info...

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast