1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Mountain Bike for my sons - Need recommendation

Hello All,

I know nothing about mountain bike and really want to get mountain bikes for my sons as X'mas gift. Would like to ask what is your recommendation of brand and model of what to get.

One is 10 years old about 5 feet tall. Budget is under $1500.

One is 8 years old and about 4.5 feet tall. Budget is under $600.

Thank you for reading this post and thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smashrc View Post
    Hello All,

I know nothing about mountain bike and really want to get mountain bikes for my sons as X'mas gift. Would like to ask what is your recommendation of brand and model of what to get.

One is 10 years old about 5 feet tall. Budget is under $1500.

One is 8 years old and about 4.5 feet tall. Budget is under $600.

Thank you for reading this post and thank you for your help.
    You should spend some time looking around in the Families and Riding with Kids subforum here for a lot of good specific info about kids' bikes.

And though it's probably not what you want to hear, I think you waited too long on doing your Xmas shoppping - it's not likely you're going to be able to figure out what bikes are right for your kids and get a hold of them in the next few days.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    The older one will fit on a XS (13") mountain bike, the younger will fit on a 24" bike for sure. Many of the big manufacturers have bikes on your range, visit shops and look around.

Brands that make 24" and XS 26" that quickly come to mind, Trek, Specialized, Kona, KHS, Giant, Scott, Motobecane, Diamondback and Carver.

The Families and Riding with Kids subforum has a lot of info about this topic as slapheadmofo mentioned.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 12-20-2013 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    This video is on the home page, it might help you out a little.

Video: Top 10 Tips For Buying Kids Bikes | Mountain Bike Review

I would try an LBS (local bike shop) first. They will most likely be very helpful at helping you chose the right sized bikes. Plus if after you give them there bike and they are having problems with the comfort of the bike you will most likely get free help with getting the bike properly adjusted to eack of them.
    Good Luck to you.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    I have two kids these ages and have built/got bikes for them.

THat's a ton of $ for them re: bikes! You are a nice parent.

Remember they are going to grow a lot. They may also not like mountain biking as much as something else - I hate to say it but its true.

The younger one -
    Something along the lines of a Scott 24" hard tail with a fork retails for about $400 and is a great bike last time I looked. Most of these 24" bikes are not high end and usually cost less, but also weigh more / perform a bit less. We found a deal on a 24" Marin Bayview Trail Hard tail. It had sort of street oriented tires but for $30 was able to change those out. Its a well made pretty solid bike, but a tad heavy. I got it for $100 on craigslist was so new the nubs were not worn off the tires.

Its wide open on the bigger kid, but not all brands have those XS frames. I'd go hard tail for better bang for buck and use 26" wheel size because its a small frame.

The remainder of your budget? Have you thought of getting out there yourself and taking some time to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors? You could easily get a bike too, maybe not top line or anything but ...

Kids that are into it, they can always get a better bike - and they are growing so they are going to need another bike anyway. But you can see on ebay or craigslist that a huge amount of bikes are under-utilized and sit in garages to be sold later with only a few miles on them.

mtbr member

Scott Scale 24"

Mountain Bike for my sons - Need recommendation-2013-scott-contessa-scale-jr-24.jpg

Mountain Bike for my sons - Need recommendation-marin-bayview-trail-24-3726_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Keep them on hard tails, in addition to the Scott the Kona Hula 24 is a great bike.

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    I agree with the hardtails. you will get much more bike for your money and if your kids enjoy the sport enough, hardtails will help develop skills that will make future rides more enjoyable.

EDIT: not like i am biased or anything, but the specialized Hardrock comes in small sizes and can be had with disc brakes for under 600. if your older son is really into trail riding or jumping the frame will make a good start. Also with the money you saved on budget you could invest in upgrades down the road.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!