1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Mountain Bike magazines

Hi Fellas,

As somebody who is new to mountain biking would you be able to suggest any mountain biking magazines? I found Mountain Bike Action on the newsstand the other day but really didn't see any more. Are there any more?

Thanks

Jeremy

mtbr member
    I picked up a copy of "Dirt Rag" a few days ago, seems pretty cool but I think it only comes out 6x a year.

What could go wrong ...
    check out Bike and Dirt Rag ... dont bother with MBA
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    + 1 for Bike....
    Current Rides:
    2011 Trek Remedy 8

To Get Me There:
    2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dirt rag

mtbr member
    I will try to keep a eye out for them, Whats wrong with MBA Zoke?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    I will try to keep a eye out for them, Whats wrong with MBA Zoke?
    Seems like the content to ad ratio is a bit skewed, and not in the way you'd want...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Funny thing is, I know MBA is going to draw criticism but I really enjoy it. I got a subscription as a gift and was biased going in due to what I've read here. I'm also a subscriber to Decline, and Bike (for YEARS) and I have to say I prefer MBA over Bike. MBA includes a lot more about riding tips & technique, contest coverage, opinionated reviews (you can agree or disagree but they tell you what they think) and my personal favorite, "Garage Files". Good stuff.

I find Bike does about 1/4 of the issue on witty(not) editorials, 1/2 on riding trips and destinations...some interesting, some ridiculous but usually boring, and 1/4 on "reviews" in which they seem to recommend everything.

Dirt and Decline are great too. Depending on your budget and preferred discipline.

I suggest you give each a couple months. See what you prefer.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    MBAction is actually pretty good if you are looking into what type of bike to buy. I say this because of all the bike mags out there they do the most reviews per issue. The caveat here is that they are heavily biased towards their advertisers. Niner, KHS, Specialized and Trek are some of their biggest advertisers and they push those brands. If you see a review on a product you like in MBA just flip through the rest of the mag and see if that company has an ad listed... I bet you they do.

I have never read Dirt Rag but I have picked up several issuees of Bike in the past. Bike is good if you like to see great photography of different places around the world to ride. It's a neat magazine but has significantly less reviews compared to MBA. Given that, their reviews are fairly decent but lack in consistancy from one review to the next (they seem to have several riders who do the reviews).
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

- Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Barnes and Noble carries a European mag called "What Mountain Bike" that I think is great. It's more of a happy medium between Dirt Rag/Bike and MBA. They do more product reviews than DR/Bike and I think they're better quality reviews than MBA.

The only pain is that you have to convert all the prices they list into USD.

Competent User
    I really like Bike for it's great photography, and the writing is generally better than the other mags. For product info, I think MBA is just fine. I like every issue I get of Bike more than the last.

mtbr member
    I got a gift subscription Bike. I have recived 2 issues. So far I am not really happy with it. Seems like unless you like taking big jumps there is not much in it. Sure the photos are nice, but how many times can you see some DH/FR guy 8 feet in the air? Really? They have reviews, but not on stuff I fined interesting. Their are some editorials that seem to ramble aimlessly. And there are alot of adds. I fined the content lacking. So far I will look forward to each of my remaining issues, but unless something changes I wil not renew. I get more info here in 1 hour than in all of Bike.

I have not looked at the other magazines.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My first reaction to MBA is that it was the "Ricer" Mags for MTBing. but it has grown on me. Bike Rag isn't bad either. Switchback is another mag that I have seen at Barns and Nobel and it seems like a good read too.
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    I like most of them just to cut the boredom and look at pics to motivate me. I just make sure to take the articles with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel5d View Post
    dirt rag
    how much does it usually cost for 1-year's subscription?

mtbr member
    MBA is legit
    I subscribe to both MBA and dirtrag.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    I also really like MBA. I bought copies at Barnes & Noble to try them out. I am picking up Dirtrag later this week. I will probably get a full subscription to MBA because I liked the articles and coverage of events. Just my 2 cents.......

My little friends
    You will get alot more info from this forum than from a magazine; just set up your PC in the john!

mtbr member
    My wife won't let me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    You will get alot more info from this forum than from a magazine; just set up your PC in the john!
    +1

This forum is like a new magazine published each day. And we are all the authors.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    It is called iPad.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I saw dirt rag at the corner store the other day but didn't have enough cash on me and wasn't using my debit card there, might bike over tomorrow and pick it up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    New member here but I found a new mag called Switchback at the B&N and it is really interesting. Lots of ride info and interviews with pros. Great article in the most recent edition about the La Ruta race turning 20. It's certainly different from MBA.

Switchbackmb dot com