1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Mountain Bike Fundamentals

This is a great entry/mid level video series that will help a lot of people just starting mountain biking.
    If this could be stick'd that would be great. Enjoy

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 1/6

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 2/6

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 3/6

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 4/6

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 5/6

Mountain Bike Fundamentals 6/6

Frys With That, Please
    So we can do all that in one afternoon ?!
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455
    So we can do all that in one afternoon ?!
    Never know until you try

Still New
    Yeah I can see myself doing all these. I can't even do the bunny hops or wheelies haha sure let me just jump down off a ledge or jump over a bridge. First chance I get I'm gonna go out there and fly down the side of a hill with trees, rocks and cliffs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You shouldn't attempt to ride your local trails until you have mastered all the techniques in all the videos.

Still New
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Virgil
    You shouldn't attempt to ride your local trails until you have mastered all the techniques in all the videos.
    For now, I've just been working on my endurance. Riding up the road, down the logging and tire roads. Nothing too dangerous lol Only thing I have to be careful about are the bears