1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Motobecane vs. Windsor

Hi Guise,

I have been looking for the last two weeks at Craigslist and 3 LBS's but didnt really find anything. My budget says $400

I THINK im down to these two, but dont know wich one is the best

Windsor Cliff 4900
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

Or

Motobecane 600HT
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm

Can someone please help me? Also if you should know about anything better than those two for the same money?

Im 6.1" 225 well built, i would really like to have lockout on the front shocks if possible

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDog
    Hi Guise,

I have been looking for the last two weeks at Craigslist and 3 LBS's but didnt really find anything. My budget says $400

I THINK im down to these two, but dont know wich one is the best

Windsor Cliff 4900
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4900.htm

Or

Motobecane 600HT
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_600HT07.htm

Can someone please help me? Also if you should know about anything better than those two for the same money?

Im 6.1" 225 well built, i would really like to have lockout on the front shocks if possible

I just got the windsor cliff 4700 (from bikesdirect) yesterday and rode it for the first time today. seems legit. took a couple 2 foot dop offs on it and no problems. good shifters.... good cheap bike for new.

NOTE: I'm 6'2" 210 lbs

mtbr member
    out of the 2 id go with the windsor better compnnet on the bike for the same price
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin24/7
    I just got the windsor cliff 4700 (from bikesdirect) yesterday and rode it for the first time today. seems legit. took a couple 2 foot dop offs on it and no problems. good shifters.... good cheap bike for new.

NOTE: I'm 6'2" 210 lbs
    Does that one have lockout? I cant figure out if the 4900 has or not. What other bikes did you look at?

How long did it take for you to receive it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brujo
    out of the 2 id go with the windsor better compnnet on the bike for the same price
    What exactly is better? Sorry if its a stupid question

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does that one have lockout? I cant figure out if the 4900 has or not. What other bikes did you look at?

How long did it take for you to receive it?

no, the dart ones don't have lock out, although I can see why you would want lockout now that I have rode it... I don't know anything really about mountain bikes (i have some bmx background), except general components, which is how I chose the 4700. I also was looking at just the other comparable bikes on bikesdirect before I made my choice.

took about.... 4 business days for shipping I think???? not positive. not too long.

mtbr member
    well the dart 2 has hydraulic daming the dart 1 is spring only, the deore fronte derraillure is better than the alivio, as is the xt rear derrailure, better shifters, that pretty much it
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin24/7
    no, the dart ones don't have lock out, although I can see why you would want lockout now that I have rode it... I don't know anything really about mountain bikes (i have some bmx background), except general components, which is how I chose the 4700. I also was looking at just the other comparable bikes on bikesdirect before I made my choice.

took about.... 4 business days for shipping I think???? not positive. not too long.
    Just like lockout when going on the road. Btw what size did you get it in and how does it fit?

mtbr member
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane_700HT.htm
    Not sure why but this one just does it for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just like lockout when going on the road. Btw what size did you get it in and how does it fit?
    20.5 and it feels good. but I used to ride a 20" wheel bmx bike, so I wanted something on the smaller side

mtbr member
    i just got the moto 700 and love it, but of the 2, id do the 4900

tough guy
    looking at the component spec sheet, i'd say the windsor wins

better fork, 9 speed, 36 spoke wheels, wider gearing