1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Motobecane vs. GT

hey guys,
    new to the sport and on the hunt for my first mtb. I know you guys probably get tired of these "which one is better" threads but heres another.

im looking at these two bikes on c-list both seem to be in good shape, but i am new to this and just dont know the in's and out's of bikes and components yet. so i figured id ask for help from some seasoned riders.

Motobecane:
    2010 Motobecane Full Supension Mountain Bike

GT:
    GT i-Drive Full Suspension Fox with lock out. Sram X9 Shimano XT

i am looking for a good all mtb, something that would be fine for some dh (nothing crazy) but also good for climbing and xc.
    Do either of these seem like a good deal, should I keep looking?
    any input will be appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Kyle.

Flow like water
    Neither of those bikes are attractive deals for me.

If you want to do downhill, a downhill bike is what you need. A used downhill bike is usually cheaper than the ones you are looking at. I don't think either of these are DH bikes.

I would also recommend just starting with something with a pro recommendation. I would even approach a few local bike shops with your budget and see what they can supply. I think the Motobecane has two strikes against it as it was a discount mail order bike to begin with. As for the GT, do they even make the i-drive anymore? I don't see either seller telling how old the bike is. A full suspension bike used hard may get pretty beaten up in five or ten years.

Edit: Just re-read the ad for the GT. Seller has "upgraded" everything. That means all you know is that most of the components did not ship on that bike. Those parts may be new, or old, or mis-matched. You would have to be an expert to know if the resulting bike is a good one. Pass on this, unless you get a really knowledgeable friend to ride it and look it over.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will follow your recommendation of checking with a shop. There are a few in my area. Are there any brands that I should pay particular attention to? I was going to look into giants and specialized. I am a college student, so I do have a budget of about a grand maybe more if I can get on a payment plan. I just want something I don't have to upgrade and a versatile mtb for all types of riding.

mtbr member
    Since you are new to the sport. I totally agree on checking out your LBS. Get proper sizing and pro recommendations on the type of riding you will be doing. I own a 2010 Motobecane full suspension. Basically the Team version of the one you linked to. And besides the outdated look. It has been a blast to ride. I've had zero problems with the bike, and the only things I had to change out, were the the stem for a shorter one a flat bar for a riser and better tires. I consider the bike to be an XC and light trail and that's pretty much what I ride.

Again. IMHO. If I were you. I would check with your LBS and see what they offer, get the bike that you want and that fits your budget. Don't get something that you will regret riding just because it was less than the one you really wanted. And ask what kind of warranty they provide. I've always been iffy about purchasing a used bike since you really don't know what kind of abuse the bike has really been through. So the warranty is one of the key things for me. But anyways welcome to the sport and MTBR community! I'm sure you will find a great wealth of info on here as I do!

Suckin wind like a boss
    The only thing wrong with motobecane is that you cant take it for a test drive before you buy one new. if its on craigslist, go check it out. youll see that they are really nice bikes regardless of what the elitists and bike snobs tell you. go check it out and roll around on it and see how it feels. thats key- make sure its comfortable for you. if it doesnt fit you, even a $5k bike is going to suck.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Two very different bikes here. I-drive bikes especially in that age bracket are infamous for linkage problems. The wear and tear as well as new compliment of components means this frame has likely been ridden hard and could be reaching a pricey service interval. The motob is a nice xc bike but way too short travel for safe or comfortable downhill. Look into some true trail or AM bikes with 5 or 6 inches of suspension travel. Short of jumps or major drops that's all you need.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I went to a few LBSs, found a good fit/geometry, and then use that to shop online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey, thanks for all the help guys! I started searching online at shops web sites for things that caught my eye. Planning to go in store and get fitted an ask a bunch of questions. Right now I'm interested in this gt force 2.0 i just have to save a little more cash to comfortably purchase.i have been reading some good reviews on it. just going to see how it feels maybe try out a few more bikes in my range. Can't wait to bring one home. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    The only thing wrong with motobecane is that you cant take it for a test drive before you buy one new. if its on craigslist, go check it out. youll see that they are really nice bikes regardless of what the elitists and bike snobs tell you. go check it out and roll around on it and see how it feels. thats key- make sure its comfortable for you. if it doesnt fit you, even a $5k bike is going to suck.
    Actually, I would not say anything bad about buying a new Motobecane online. The resale value is the question. The craigslist bike the OP referred to was way more than I would pay for a used Motobecane, because I think the lower end ones are the best deals. I don't think the brand sucks. I just think that a $990 used FS Motobecane of unknown age is not the best value for a newbie.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    I think the Motobecane has two strikes against it as it was a discount mail order bike to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Actually, I would not say anything bad about buying a new Motobecane online. The resale value is the question. The craigslist bike the OP referred to was way more than I would pay for a used Motobecane, because I think the lower end ones are the best deals. I don't think the brand sucks. I just think that a $990 used FS Motobecane of unknown age is not the best value for a newbie.
    Well you didnt say what the second strike was on your first post, but you made a good point in your second post- i agree a grand is out of line for a 2-year-old FS moto. fantoms are nice bikes, but 7-800 is a better deal. i would stick 650 in the guys face and see how he reacted to that, but hold off if i couldnt get it for another hundred more.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    Well you didnt say what the second strike was on your first post, but you made a good point in your second post- i agree a grand is out of line for a 2-year-old FS moto. fantoms are nice bikes, but 7-800 is a better deal. i would stick 650 in the guys face and see how he reacted to that, but hold off if i couldnt get it for another hundred more.
    Well strike one is that it is a Motobecane, which does not have the resale value of a Trek. This isn't about good vs bad. It's about money. Now, I don't plan to buy a Trek, just saying that they have better resale.

My MTB is a Diamondback Response that I got for $200 used. If I pay $1000 or so for a used bike, it is going to get a thorough going-over.

If the OP was not set on FS, a new mail-order HT bike would be a great place to start.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Comparing the two Craigslist bikes by photo only you can see the Moto shows less wear. I have a 500HT and have no complaints for the price I paid used on CL. It needs some minor upgrades like seat & front derailleur but otherwise a solid bike.

I ride primarily conditioned surface of some type or light trails though. My opinion is who ever bought the Moto name is trying to maintain some resemblance of quality & heritage. The frame is made in Tiawan and of decent quality.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have two bikes I bought online , one moto for my wife and a gravity point 5 for me . No issues. The gravity has 400 miles of single track on it this year already.
    Don't care for the whole myth about going to the LBS and trying it out.

There are well defined sizing charts out there ,even if a bike feels right it might be the wrong size. The LBS really usually doesn't care, the just want sell you something.
    I have watched more than one person come out of the lbs with the wrong size bike because they gave them a great deal.

Oh there are some places that carry motos in Florida

mtbr member
    If your choice was new GT or new Moto with similar spec and price I would vote GT.
    GT's just look nicer. Yes, I'm being superficial. I wish Moto would spend more money on paint, decals and design. Just a small improvement in those areas could really elevate their sales. I know that they keep their prices down by being frugal, but having more aesthetic appeal would help sell more and in turn help their economy of scale and ROI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love my Famtom 29er Elite. Love the Matte black. Would have go with the PRO or even the SL but I didn't like the colors besides the PRO is 400 more and the SL is 600. I save that amount for my next bike or for upgrades. The only thing I did change thus far is the stem riser for the handle bars with an eleven81 35 degree rise. Didn't like the feel of being a pig on a stick. I like to pretend the handle bars are long brunette hair...and well....lol nuff said...Good luck on your choice the bike don't make the rider the rider makes the bike.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    If your choice was new GT or new Moto with similar spec and price I would vote GT.
    GT's just look nicer. Yes, I'm being superficial. I wish Moto would spend more money on paint, decals and design. Just a small improvement in those areas could really elevate their sales. I know that they keep their prices down by being frugal, but having more aesthetic appeal would help sell more and in turn help their economy of scale and ROI.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GT after riding it for the first time today and I do like the way it looks. However, I also like the simplicity in graphics on the Fantom 29
    That flat black is hawt.

Actually considering the Outcast 29 when I ad a single speed to the stable and partly for that same reason.