1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Motobecane fantom DS Pro

Hey guys, right now i'm on a Giant Revel 1 with an Xfusion Enix fork. I'm looking to upgrade my ride. I found a Motobecane Fantom DS Pro on Craigslist for an asking price of 900. I'm going to take a look at in a couple of weeks. I was going to offer a lower price in cash when i get there to test ride it (given it fits and it is comfortable for me).

What do you all think about the price and the bike in general. I know that it has a nice list of components. The bike is about a year old.

Thanks.

Full Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2010 Fantom PRO DS | Shimano XT | XTR | Equipped with Rockshox Reba suspension fork

mtbr member
    Even at full price on "bikesdirect" that's alota bike for the money, maybe the best bang for buck as far as fs's go. With that said it gotta be fit-able to you and you gotta like it.
    Couple of years back I bought a Fisher HIFI 29er. The bike was practically brand new, a great groupo, bought it from a friend for a great price, and I loved the look. After riding it for about a year and trying all kinds of adjustments I just didn't like it and ended up selling it. Great bike, fit me perfect, just no likey. Same thing with a hybrid bike I bought at a yard/divorce sale. The price was so good I just couldn't pass. Ended up giving it away to a friend because I just never rode it. Gave him a 900$ bike I paid 50$ for.
    Moral of the story, test ride it, bring cash, if you like it offer less and see what gives.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

Inspector Gadget
    In two weeks that bike will be prob be sold...
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    He is holding it for me and took the ad off Craigslist...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dworley505 View Post
    He is holding it for me and took the ad off Craigslist...
    I just got that bike from bikesdirect (white, 2011, large). It's an amazing bike, for $1600, so for $900, that's a great deal. If it was me I would go together with the guy to the local LBS to have it checked out first. I would also ask about the mileage. If it has between 2000-3000 miles, I would ask for a lower price because the chain and cassette should be replaced. An XTR chain goes for $32 online and an XT cassette goes for $60 online. The brake pads might be worn too, so I think that's an extra $60. I would also get information if the warranty can be transferred.

When I got mine I had to do this though:

Get bleed kit
    Get lots of locks (since I ride around town)
    Get pedals (the stock ones are really horrible)
    Get Squeal Out (for when the brakes start squealing, and they will)

I also got a ton of other stuff like tools and tubes.