1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Motobecane Fantom Comp vs. Cannondale Rush 7 7

I'm new to the sport and I want to get the most bike for the money. My top two choices right now are the motobecane fantom comp and the cannondale rush 7. Both bikes agave fairly similar components and weight almost the same. I can get a new 09 model rush for $1350 and I can get the motobecane from bikes direct for $999.

Probably drunk right now

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Kawi9_cf
    I'm new to the sport and I want to get the most bike for the money. My top two choices right now are the motobecane fantom comp and the cannondale rush 7. Both bikes agave fairly similar components and weight almost the same. I can get a new 09 model rush for $1350 and I can get the motobecane from bikes direct for $999.

It sounds like you've compared specs but you haven't actually ridden a bike? I'd ride as many different bikes as you can in your category. Go with the one that fits you best and feels the best to you.

Given your two, limited choices I'd go w the C-Dale because you can test ride it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    It sounds like you've compared specs but you haven't actually ridden a bike? I'd ride as many different bikes as you can in your category. Go with the one that fits you best and feels the best to you.

Given your two, limited choices I'd go w the C-Dale because you can test ride it.

Yep , Ken speaks the truth . Should not buy bikes that you havent ridden IMHO .

I Have Cookies
    Oh Man here we go again..............^^^^^^^^^Listen to these guy's^^^^^^^^^ +1+1+1+1+1+1!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There's nothing wrong with buying online as long as you know what you're getting into. If you buy online, you're responsible for fit, bike setup, and tuning and adjustments (though you can pay a bike shop to do this). This is easier for more experienced riders, but I'm sure there are plenty of noobs that did fine with online purchases (and probable others that made huge mistakes). If you're uncomfortable with any of this, you would be better off buying from a shop.

I'm assuming you would be buying the Cannondale locally, so you need to decide if the added cost is worth it to be able to test ride, get help with fit, and get setup and adjustments and ease of dealing with any problems you may have with the bike.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you are interested in Motobecane try looking at http://cyclespectrum.com to see if there is a location near you. This is basically a brick and mortar version of Bikesdirect.com and the pricing is exactly the same except you have to pay sales tax. You will be able to try out the bikes and look at them up close. An additional benefit of buying through them is that you'll get lifetime maintenance on your new bike, and they will assemble and adjust it before you pick it up. I purchased my Fantom Pro Ti through them and I'm extremely pleased with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I raced motocross for years but had a severe wreck about two years ago and decided it was time to get into something a little less dangerous. I can completely build a dirt bike from the ground so i feel completely comfortable working on every aspect of the bicycle. The closest cycle spectrum to me is 500 miles away so that isnt an option for me.

mtbr member
    I would go for the better spec'd bike for the money. If you're comfortable looking at online fitting suggestions, go for it. Worst case scenario you don't like the Motobecane and have 30 days to return it. You'll be out $50 shipping.

You get more "bling" with a brand name.

I bought a bike online. Perfectly happy with it.

EDIT: Post in the Motobecane forum and see if anyone has the Fantom in your area and see if you can at least go check it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ok thanks for all the advice

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of supporting your local bike shop whenever possible. That said, I am also a fan of being able to simply drop my bike off at the shop if there is a warranty issue down the road.

On the other hand we did buy my wife's bike online (Fezzari). We had some small issues with the bike at first but everything worked out well despite the company existing on the opposite side of the country.

In the end it comes down to which bike better fits your needs. Bikes Direct should be able to help you select the proper size based on your measurements...so fit shouldn't be a huge issue.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the Fantom Elite, no probs. Even with closeout sales, I couldn't come close to that value locally. I also have a K2 Enemy bought from the local guys at a great price. Both ways work out fine. It's nice to support the locals, and to be able to elicit advice from them, but not mandatory. If I had it to do all over again, I'd upgrade to the Fantom Team online, and get the same K2 locally.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I decided to go with the Motobecane, I ordered it earlier this morning. I will post again as soon as it comes in and let you know how things go.

mtbr member
    How tall are you and what size did you order?

mtbr member
    Nice, I'm looking forward to reading about your thoughts on the bike. I purchased the same model last year and have loved every moment on it. For the money, it's fantastic ride in my opinion. 5'11" here, 18" .....frame

Happy trails!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm 5 ' 11" and I bought the 20" frame, I rode several bike and decided I like the feel of the 20" frame better.