1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Motobecane 700 Ds Vs Jeep Rubicon Awd Feedback

It Is Time I Purchase A New Mountain Bike My 20 Year Old Hardtail Is Ready To Retire. The Headseat Is Very Loose And The Bike Shop Said It Needs Replacing. My Budget Is Very Tight About $600 Max. I Would Like Feedback From Anyone That Has Ridden Or Owned The Jeep Rubicon Awd Bike. I Admit The Novelty Is The Biggest Attractor For Me. I Want To Know If It Is A Maintainence Problem Or Not? I Also Like The Motobecane 700 Ds Because Of Price And It Has A Suspension Lockout. Is The Suspension Lockout That Big Of Deal Or Not? I Will Be Doing A Lot Of Up Hill Riding Here In Western Washington Most Of The Best Off Road Riding Is In The Mountain Areas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey KenPCPilot. I can't tell you anything about the Jeep Rubicon bike. Try the Motobecane forum if you're interested in a 700 ds. My Fantom Pro29 has a lockout on the front shock. It's great on the climbs, but sometimes I forget to unlock before going down, which makes for a helluva rough ride. Maybe I need a post-it on my handlebars.

I post too much.
    Your post with a capital at the beginning of each word makes my eyes bleed.

Go out to various LBS, tell them your budget(get fitted to the bike, they are like shoes) and try as many bikes as they have within your budget. Buy the one you like most.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

LBS (lots of bull ****?) local bike shops

I have checked out all in my area. Most are very helpful land knowledgeble but the closest i can come with the equipment i am looking for is $1400 and it had no disk breaks but was fs. Under $1,000 they have few adult bikes and those are comfort bikes with very cheap components no suspension and rim breaks. anything that was even comparible to the Motobecane 700 DS or the Jeep bike started about $2200. I could by a new bike every year for 3 years at those prices and their warranty was only 5 years on non frame parts labor no included.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As mentioned,check out the Moto forums,there's a lot of helpful people there that have the 700 DS.The only thing I would do is upgrade the rear shock.A person on the Moto forums upgraded to a Cane Creek Cloud Nine shock and seems very satisfied with the set up and even after that upgrade you're still well ahead of the curve as far as price goes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I think I just narrowed your search. The Jeep bike is around $3000. That's a lot of bread. It would be cool to test drive one. You will sacrifice some customer service ordering a bike off the internet, but you can't beat the level of components for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

price

I see listed often 700 with 100 shipping for the Rubicon and the Motobecane about 560-650 range

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I stand corrected. One site said MSRP $2999. Another site listed them for $1299. Ebay has them for $599. It pays to shop around. I'd still get the Motobecane.

mtbr member
    My wife bought a Moto 400DS for herself and it was well worth the $400 we spent on it, The frame has great welds and it is pretty stiff. She bought an 18.5" frame and it seems a little small, I am 6' and it would be way too small for me, you may want to order a larger size than normal. I changed out the fork and it turned out to be a fun bike. The 700 has much better components. She ordered it on a Saturday and got it five days later, it was easy to assemble, the derailleurs were adjusted perfectly and I havent had to touch them still after two months of riding. I wish she would have bought the 700DS but shes happy. I dont see anything wrong with Motobecane, they are definitely worth the price. A.H

(not that fast)
    Whoa Whoa Whoa, do not get the Jeep. The weight to benefit ratio is ridiculous, plus parts and service on the system is probably not going to happen if the damn thing breaks. You can get a pretty nice bike for 600 bones, do not be attracted to gimmicks.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPCPilot
    It Is Time I Purchase A New Mountain Bike My 20 Year Old Hardtail Is Ready To Retire. The Headseat Is Very Loose And The Bike Shop Said It Needs Replacing. My Budget Is Very Tight About $600 Max. I Would Like Feedback From Anyone That Has Ridden Or Owned The Jeep Rubicon Awd Bike. I Admit The Novelty Is The Biggest Attractor For Me. I Want To Know If It Is A Maintainence Problem Or Not? I Also Like The Motobecane 700 Ds Because Of Price And It Has A Suspension Lockout. Is The Suspension Lockout That Big Of Deal Or Not? I Will Be Doing A Lot Of Up Hill Riding Here In Western Washington Most Of The Best Off Road Riding Is In The Mountain Areas.
    This Is A Joke, Right?