1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Motobecane 600HT Selling For $359! GRAB ONE IF YOU ARE A NOOB ON A BUDGET!

Just checked out the Bikes Direct website today, and they are selling 2012 Motobecane 600HTs for $359.95! That is an INSANELY good price on a bike with those specs. I'm actually trying to resist the urge to buy one since I already own 3 bikes, so by posting this, maybe they will be sold out (I ride a 17") by the time I give in to the tempation to buy one!

Anyway, if you are a newbie, you won't find a new bike with better specs for less than $600. This would be a HUGE upgrade for anything selling for the same price at a bike store. And no, this is not a shill...I just wanted to spread the word on a really great deal, especially for newbies not sure about which bike to buy, or if you have a limited budget. They are already sold out in a few sizes and are running low in other sizes, so act quickly!

Oh yeah, the link:

Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 600HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    WOW, I wish I would've waited a couple weeks. I just bought the 500HT at that price.

Gotta say I'm very pleased with the 500HT and would certainly recommend the Motobecane to anyone on a budget.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That stinks, but glad you are happy with your 500HT. I wish they had this deal going last year when I ordered my Windsor Cliff 4500...with Bikes Direct, I think its worth it to shell out the extra $100 to $150 to get the next best model, but with this deal, you don't have to. On that note, I wonder why they are letting these go for so cheap.
    Last edited by getagrip; 04-10-2012 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The price is right. But 12-28 rear gears? How are you going to climb with that?

I'm an MTB noob but even my road bike has 11-34!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, I decided to grab a 17" 600HT since the size wasn't sold out yet and because the price is too good pass up. I wasn't ever totally happy with my not so great equipped Windsor (which will be donated to a community bike store), and my "Frankenstein" Leader Hardtail has become a money pit and is now being converted into a singlespeed, so buying the 600 HT at a really low price made sence. I've got a full suspension Schwinn I'm happy with that is similarly equipped to the Moto, but really slow up hills, and I may start racing after I go for a 400+ mile road ride in June, so I figured, why not? I know, always too much information in my posts but that's just me!

mtbr member
    How is the build quality of Motobecane?

Comparing the included Motobecane components to the major brands, it seems like you get a lot for your $$.

Michigan Wolverine
    Thanks for the link. One of my good friends is looking to start riding and is looking for a good deal on a bike. I'll send this on to him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonc13 View Post
    How is the build quality of Motobecane?

Comparing the included Motobecane components to the major brands, it seems like you get a lot for your $$.
    I've owned 2 Bikes Direct bikes, a Motobecane Fantom Cycrocross and a Windsor. The frames are very well built, with clean welds. Parts specs are very good for the money you spend, but you tend to get much better parts as you spend more - as you can see, the parts specs on the 600HT are much better than the Windsor Cliff 4500, but the 600HT is usually priced higher than it is now. The specs are comparable to a Giant Revel 0, priced at $690:

Revel 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States
    Last edited by getagrip; 04-11-2012 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    Thanks for the link. One of my good friends is looking to start riding and is looking for a good deal on a bike. I'll send this on to him.
    Cool. Just make sure he gets the right size - they only have the 13", 15", and 17" still available, which means that if he is over 5'8" tall, the 600HT probably won't work. However, for $120 more, he could pick up a Dawes Haymaker 1500 that has the larger sizes available, which is pretty close in specs to the 600HT:

Mountain Bikes - MTB - Dawes Haymaker 1500

There are some other mountain bikes selling for less than $400 at BD, but I think he would be better off by spending a little more, mainly because of the better fork and other parts upgrade you can get with the 600HT or Haymaker 1500.
    Last edited by getagrip; 04-11-2012 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    hmm im very tempted.. gotta wait till tomorrow to see if my friend buys my DB. then ill be ordering 1!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Correction!

Looks like they opened up availability for the 19" size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Motobecane 600ht Dart 2 Fork

Has anyone purchased on of these 600ht recently from bikesdirect? If so, did the bike come with a lockout feature? Picture shows one but the ad doesn't say specifically?

Genius
    I just popped on one of these bikes a few minutes ago, so I am somewhat interested in the answer from above as well. Never-the-less I do plan on replacing the fork with a spare 2011 Fox Talas I am currently not using.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have bought 3 bikes from BD (carbon road and Al hardtail for me and Al road for my son), but not the bike in question. Worked right for me and I was happy with my purchases.

These are my observations for those considering: My road bike had a different equal spec headset from the one listed and my HT had a brake upgrade from the spec listed. Son's bike had the same spec. So I think there may be some spec variation and this could apply to the fork in question.

I have found their frames to be traditional in design with well formed tube joints. The one weakness on the Al bikes was thinner paint. Of course it is a small sample set.

Looks like a great new mountain bike if this is your price point. Free shipping means a lot at this price.