1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Motobecane 600DS vs Windsor Ghost 6900

I've been shopping around my LBS's and I can't find anything that comes close to the deals on bikesdirect. I'm considering these two models:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane/600ds.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._ghost6900.htm

and would like some help deciding. it seems like the windsor has better front fork, front derailer, and is a 27 speed. the motobecane has a lockout on the rear fork, but is only 24 speed. is there any reason why the motobecane is $50 more? is it a better frame? or is there something else i'm missing?

thanks

mtbr member
    Those bikes are not going to be that great. They are using ooollddd frame designs, the parts spec really aren't very good. They're going to be heavy.

What kind of riding do you see yourself doing?
    :wq

mtbr member
    Unless you are only going to be riding paved bike paths I would take the $500 and purchase something used rather then those two options you have presented.

As nachomc mentioned, those are very old frame designs and parts spec is maybe average. I am surprised your LBS cant come up with something similar for that pricepoint.

Also, I would avoid any full suspension design at that price point. You will be way better off with a hardtail in that range (you will get a better fork, and no rear suspension will be better then what those bikes listed have....)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i will be doing mostly off road trail riding, log crossings, some downhill, uphill, on packed dirt as well as rocky, and single track. i couldn't touch a full suspension bike at any lbs for under $1300. most of the hardtails i looked at had the same or lesser components. These were the best deals that I could find.

http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...ahoo&Type=bike

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...7705&Type=bike

My LBS had both bikes for around $479. I also looked at:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...5698&Type=bike

at another LBS, they wanted $580 for the rockhopper. I was trying to stay in the $400-500 range. Would either the trek 4300 or gary fisher wahoo be better alternatives to the motobecane or windsor?
    Last edited by BH Cubed; 11-17-2009 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    try to find a giant yukon FX. they were about 800 new.. could probably find a closeout/last year in your budget. maybe even used.

pretty much anything would be better than that motobecane or windsor! you'd be pretty well off with a yukon though. its one of the better entry level bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    another lbs had:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...8091&Type=bike

for $475. i'm waiting on another lbs to get thier '10 inventory of jamis bikes.

mtbr member
    You are headed in the right direction for sure - I would happily ride any of the 4 hardtails before those two faux suspensions you originally listed. Keep up the great research, and if possible demo a few before investing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hey if you like motobecane! get the ds comp. its $999 and has an outrageous parts list for that price. its a little heavy but any decent trail rig will be

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    if i wanted to spend $800-999 I wouldn't be looking at these bikes. like i said i'm looking to stay in the $400-500 range.

too cold to ride
    I think Motobecane and Windsor are two formerly strong brands that had their names sold to some company that makes department store-type bikes.

For the riding you'll be doing, I'd go full susp.- either reset your budget and save more or look at eBay/Craigslist.
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

TRANCER
    I have to agree with getting a used full suspension bike. Or one of the hardtails you posted. The Gary Fisher Wahoo has a great rep as a hardtail As for the 1st choices, id scrap both those ideas
    Ride

mtbr member
    The Gary Fisher or Rockerhopper would be much better choices. Check your local Craigslist as well, used deals on bikes pop up pretty often, you can find a good hardtail easily within your price range, with a solid component spec. Rockerhopper Disc models etc..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I started out with a Trek 4300 and it was a good beginner bike. It's suited to X/C type terrain. I have taken it off 1-2 foot drops, but I wouldn't beat it up any more than that. I've taken it through rock gardens and some rougher terrain too. It handled it quite well but just wasn't as smooth as other bikes. If you feel like you want something that can handle more I suggest buying used or try other online dealers. Used might be the better option if you like to test drive the bikes. Jenson also has cheaper bikes online that have more reputable brands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i talked to one guy about the Trek 4300 at one LBS and he said it would be fine for the trails that I'd be riding. He knew the trails and has actually ridden them. Another guy at another LBS said I would be pushing the limits on the 4300 and was pushing me towards the Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc. Which they had an '09 leftover for $600. I'm not sure if he was saying that to try to push me to buy the more expensive bike? But he did make a point that it's easier to spend a little extra money now than spend more on upgrades or even another bike later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    my head is just spinning at this point and i think i'm even more confused than before. there are just so many options out there. i really didn't think buying a mountain bike was this complicated, lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BH Cubed
    if i wanted to spend $800-999 I wouldn't be looking at these bikes. like i said i'm looking to stay in the $400-500 range.
    In that price range you definitely need to stay with hardtails.

For bikesdirect I would go with the Motobecane 600ht, or if you can put out another $95, the Fantom HT Trail.

Otherwise I'd just keep an eye on your local Craigslist. If you have patience and know what to look for you can sometimes find great deals. If your CL is very active, make sure to pounce on any deals. One time I found a Giant Rainier (new - ridden once) for $350 and went and picked it up that night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    my head is just spinning at this point and i think i'm even more confused than before. there are just so many options out there. i really didn't think buying a mountain bike was this complicated, lol.
    Your right, But seeing that your just getting into riding and are a beginner, and you dont want to spend much, here is your best bet...

1. Buy a new/used hardtail, from a good name brand, from a local bike shop
    2. Buy a used Full Suspension bike from lbs or craigslist, etc.

Thats the easy way, and the smart way in my opinion

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ok i just found this on CL

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1473020005.html

i'm not too familiar with the older Jamis bikes. I've been looking at the '09-'10 models though. I emailed the seller to see what size the frame is, pics, and condition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i think their asking too much for that bike imo because its got a few years on it. i believe their around 1000 new. i wouldnt pay more than 350-400 for it, but if it dosnt have any problems, its not too bad.

TRANCER
    That is a great deal. But is the frame the right size? You should go check it out and see if it fits you correctly and/or if the bike is in great shape of course
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i talked to one guy about the Trek 4300 at one LBS and he said it would be fine for the trails that I'd be riding. He knew the trails and has actually ridden them. Another guy at another LBS said I would be pushing the limits on the 4300 and was pushing me towards the Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc.
    I've taken my 4300 from beginner to intermediate trails. I rode the 4300 for about 2 years before I bought a full suspension. At the time I wanted to get my feet wet and pick a bike that fit my budget. I didn't shop around and picked the first bike I saw. It wasnít a bad choice and the 4300s been through allot, but If I could do it again I would of chose a different bike. Especially one that I could grow into too. All the major brand have pretty good frames around that price range, just look for the one that fits you the best and has good Forks, Brakes & upgrade the drive train if you donít like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    here are the pics from the seller on cl

from seller: "The frame is 18" and bike is in great condition. I had the frame powdercoated last year and I have just installed all new pivot bushings. I love this bike, it rides great. I has a true horst link, and all XT shifting."

Since it's been powdercotated there are no Jamis labels, etc. on it. Can anyone tell if it is from the pics?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

TRANCER
    Its a descent bike but not a great deal. Offer him $350. Im sure you will get it for that.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    Its a descent bike but not a great deal. Offer him $350. Im sure you will get it for that.
    the jamis or trek?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast