1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Motobecane 400DS

I'm contemplating purchasing this bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DUAL-SUSPENS...QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone know anything about it? I'm a newb and am having trouble making a decision - I am looking almost strictly at used bikes off of Craigslist etc. and someone is selling this model for around 300. I sold my laptop today to pay for a bike and have about 400 to play with.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been reading about the Ibex Alpine 450 now.. seems like a number of you snazzy folk on this board recommend them. They have last years model on clearance, what do you think?

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/05-ALP-450-Details.html

Thanks for all the help.. everyone has been fantastic here :-)

D

We want... a shrubbery!
    I would take the Ibex over the Motobecane... better components. While I don't have any experience with those bikes, there has been a lot of praise for them just as you had mentioned.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.