1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

The most-mentioned beginner bikes.

I have no mountain biking experience, but I want to get started in the sport. After reading around, I often see the Giant Rincon, Trek 3700 and Specialized Hardrock mentioned. Of these threes, which would be the best? Are there other bikes I have failed to notice? Thanks for any help, I am anxious to get started.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How much are you looking to spend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think the bikes I listed are in the $370-420 range. But my range is up to around $500.

mtbr member
    you might want to check into Jamis, KHS, and Ironhorse brand bikes. they usually give you a little more bang for your buck than the bigger bike companies. rscycles.com sells ironhorse bikes online.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    In my shop the best frame, and upgradeable set-up is the Giant Yukon hardtail. ASwesome bike for the money (they usually leave the shop oin the 450.00 range). That new Yukon FX dual susser for 800.00 is an awesome bike fo rthe money as well (we have sold a few as well). But bang for buck-Giant Yukon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have read and heard alot of good things from the Giant Yukon as well.

My LBS was tryign to push a Trek 4500 hardtail for 529.00

But I went a different route and spent alot more than I was anticipating, I went with a Gary FIsher King Fisher 2 FS.

But if you get the lastest issue of MTB Action they have a nice 800.00 Trail Bike Shootout. I know its a little more than you wanted to spend. But you will see the reviews on the Giant Yukon in there as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So a Giant Yukon would be a good way to go?

I also see the Cannondale F7 mentioned, as well as Ibex and Diamondback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This might help any future advice, hoping it comes along.

I am a student at university and I will be trying to get out as many weekends as I can. The bike will also get much use during the summer. I am from southeastern Ohio, and I've heard theres some decent trails around (my university is in central Ohio). It won't be serious riding, as my studies take priority during the school year, and usually a full time job occupies my summer weekdays. But nonetheless, I hope to ride as much as possible. I probably won't be able to upgrade, should the need come, for some time, seeing as I'll have other financial responsibilities as I start the transition to living on my own. Hopefully this background will help with suggestions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frazier193
    I think the bikes I listed are in the $370-420 range. But my range is up to around $500.
    It's a little above your budget at $589.99 list but you might want to consider the Gary Fisher Marlin. I've had one for quite a while now and it has held up very well, even through some hard crashes. The new ones have better specs, with Shimano Deore shifters and derailleurs. You might be able to get a good deal on one, now that the '09s are on the way.

Smokey

mtbr member
    I bought a Gary Fisher Piranha For $649 about a Month ago (Bike Shop had a Huge Sale going on, bike has a $799 MSRP). The Marlin has the Exact Same Frame, just Lower end Components, But Still a Great Bike. I'm Sure you can Find a Marlin in the $500 Range.

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_154875...marlin_reviews

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I recomend the Cannondale F7 I've had mine for 3 months now beating it hard and I'm 6'0 250 and haven't broken or replaced anything except the saddle, plus for $399 you have money left over for beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Only consider bikes you can test ride. Everyone can recommend bikes, but if can't test ride the bikes, don't consider it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    I bought a Gary Fisher Piranha For $649 about a Month ago (Bike Shop had a Huge Sale going on, bike has a $799 MSRP). The Marlin has the Exact Same Frame, just Lower end Components, But Still a Great Bike. I'm Sure you can Find a Marlin in the $500 Range.

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_154875...marlin_reviews

I would second the Marlin/Pirahna recommendation. Both are fantastic bikes for the money.
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I dont mean to hijack a thread but have a simmilar question. I went to a LBS a while back and test rode a Trek 4500 and was impressed. The salesman had me then try a Gary Fisher Tassajera and it was night and day difference. Of course the price was about $150 more. I've been doing a lot of research on Ibex and see that basically I can get more bike for my money, but can't test ride them. Any thoughts out there on this? I keep reading reviews on Ibex and they all are positive, i am just leary to purchase something I cant see and ride first.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by frazier193
    Giant Rincon, Trek 3700 and Specialized Hardrock mentioned. Of these threes, which would be the best?
    Of those three, the Hardrock is probably the strongest and heaviest. I doubt there is much difference in terms of quality, but there may be a big difference in how they fit you and what exactly you want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd165
    rode a Trek 4500 and was impressed. The salesman had me then try a Gary Fisher Tassajera and it was night and day difference. .... Ibex and see that basically I can get more bike for my money, but can't test ride them.
    If you can afford it, get the bike you like best. If not, get the best you can afford. "How the bike fits you" is the important issue. If you have no previous experience, test rides and advice from a competent shop are the surest way to get a bike that is suitable for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Don't forget to ask people how much they weigh when you recommend a bike. Heavier riders need a fork with 32mm stancions like a Tora. Check out the 2008 Raleigh Mojave 8.0 if you are a heavier person.---zarr

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I only weigh around 125 lbs.

It seems as though there is no overwhelmingly strong consensus on the best beginner bike. So in that case, what would be the best way of determining what bike to get? If I narrow down my choices to the ones I can test drive, and then throw out any that feel like a bad fit, whats the best way to go from there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Kona Blast, good frame, decent specs, I love the fit. Highly upgradeable.