1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Morning all hope hubs :(

Hi all I'm trying to build my own wheels bought hope pro 2 hubs plus mavic 317 rims what size spoke do I need plus any advice , many thanks Paul

mtbr member
    Anyone

Picture Unrelated
    You're trying to build your own wheels but don't even know how to find the correct spoke size? I think everyone's trying to be nice by staying out of this thread and not bashing you.

I can honestly say that you should try and pick up a book on wheelbuilding and read that before you jump into this project. "The Art of Wheelbuilding" would be an ok place to start. There must be videos on youtube as well.

Here's a good place to start, you might be able to get going using this:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

One of the most commonly used tools for wheelbuilding is a spoke calculator, here's one:
    http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/We...px?language=en
    or: http://lenni.info/edd/

It would be a good idea to quickly learn about hub measurements and either find them on Hope's site or measure them yourself (use Sheldon's website linked above) that way you know the measurements you put into the spoke calculator will work.

Other than that, make sure you have some spoke prep or at least locktite on those spoke ends so they don't come back apart when you assemble it. Good luck!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the advice and the links made good reading I will be trying this weekend
    Wish me luck ha ha

Many thanks Paul

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoturbo View Post
    Hey thanks for the advice and the links made good reading I will be trying this weekend
    Wish me luck ha ha

Many thanks Paul
    Good luck, be patient, and prepare to fail once in a while. It's all part of the process.

My favorite way to build wheels is after lacing to bring all the nipples to a common point; usually I leave 2 threads showing or something like that. Then slowly add tension around the wheel evenly; I'll usually start with two turns on every spoke for a round then come back around for a turn each a time or two then start working in half turns and quarter turns. The slower you add tension the more evenly the wheel should build up. Once you get near your tension then you can start tweaking your pattern to include truing the wheel and rounding the wheel.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Yes, that's fonetic
    Do you have a truing stand? I can't imagine building a wheel from scratch w/o one.

mtbr member
    Yeah got all the bits now plus a stand I'll see how I go on if not the local bike shop will help out

Yes, that's fonetic
    Good luck then. Listen to Zebra and don't forget the spoke prep/locktite and check the tension after a ride or two.

mtbr member
    All done many thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Good job. It's always better to learn how to do it yourself. It gives you a better understanding of quality and how everything works together.

Just Ride !
    Nice touch with the red hubs and red nipples..
    Every time i walk into the LBS and see the price tags on new bikes it makes me enjoy and appreciate my Ol' ride even more.

mtbr member
    I have built tons of wheels without a truing stand. zip ties on the chainstays!

mtbr member
    Also...do a search in the Wheels and Tires forum here on MTBR. Lots of pointers to great websites, books, tools, methods over there.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Hey thanks guys I did try zip ties but gave up was luckily a mate had a jig , as for the more info thanks I might build some more one day

mtbr member
    Everyone loves red nipples lol ha ha ha

workin' it Administrator
    remember to retension your wheels after a couple hours of riding especially if you didn't relieve the tension and retension them while building. They will bed in and the tension will decrease making the wheel loose.

Once retensioned they should be good but I always make an attempt to check tension on my wheels (which I build) every couple of months. Good preventative maintenance, just like checking chain wear.
    Try this: HTFU