1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Moral support: picking a HT XC 29er over FS

Newb here, buying my first bike and want some moral support. I think a 29er hardtail XC bike will be fine for the style of riding that I'll be doing most often. I live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, and we have flowy singletrack through the forest around here. I don't expect to seek out steep hills I can bomb, rather ride the fun trails at whatever clip suits my fancy.

Because of this, I've been looking for a normal XC bike (and am lusting after/leaning toward the Salsa El Mariachi). 71 degree head tube etc. The reason I need moral support is I have friends (a few) trying to get me on a full suspension bike (says they're better at bumps and can stay seated longer/better traction in climbs) or more of a trail/AM bike with a slacker headtube (easier to huck, roll over bumps). Am I missing something? Aren't the flowy singletrack trails I intend to ride perfect for an XC bike? I also am not wild about spending another $1000 for full suspension. Is my track of thinking sound? Buy a nice HT XC 29er for the trails around here? Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Sherpa41; 04-03-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    your new to mtbing? How good are your friends and what do they ride? Are you going to ride by yourself or with them? How large are the drops you're going to ride? Flowy singletrack, sure ht works.

but if you're a social rider like me, you'll really want to know what kind or riding you'll be dong with your buddies.

I think if you're going to spend $1500+ on a bike, it's worth to rent a hartdail and FS before purchasing.

BTW, im' a fan of value bikes like motobecane, airborne. You end up with a nicer bike with these brands at the same price tier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ummm are you and your friends riding the same trails? You say flowy single track they say hucking, you're going to huck you better get a FS long travel bike, a 100 mm travel FS won't last long hucking.
    I have both a HT and a FS, I ride each oe at different trails,some are rougher than other and so the FS gets a work out, the smoother trails are for the HT BUT if I want to try for a new strava time I take the HT no matter what trail I am on. Yes I use strava for my own personel reasons I do not care to be KOTH I race against myself.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You can get an XC bike with slacker HT angle like the Scott Scale (69.5) or the Trek Marlin/Mamba/Cobia. I have the Scale and it's got fantastic geo.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa41 View Post
    ... The reason I need moral support is I have friends (a few) trying to get me on a full suspension bike (says they're better at bumps and can stay seated longer/better traction in climbs) or more of a trail/AM bike with a slacker headtube (easier to huck, roll over bumps). Am I missing something? Aren't the flowy singletrack trails I intend to ride perfect for an XC bike? ....
    I don't know your area, but I quite happy on my 26" hardtail. This is on flowing trails or typical Az rocky trails. $1000 is a lot of money and given what it sounds like you want to ride a waste of money.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    You can get an XC bike with slacker HT angle like the Scott Scale (69.5) or the Trek Marlin/Mamba/Cobia. I have the Scale and it's got fantastic geo.
    This is where I would go even for flowy trails. The Scott is definately worth a ride. 71 is not needed anymore as Nino road this geo to a World Cup XC championship 3 of last 4 years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Go to the trails where you plan to ride and see what most other people are using. Here in Georgia where I live we have mostly smooth trails running thru the woods with occasional roots. 80%+ of people ride hardtail.

But yeah, the thing to do is ride both then decide. Several people told me how wonderful FS is. So I went to a Trek factory demo and tried both a HT Superfly AL Elite and the AL 100 Elite FS. I also rode a Giant all-mountain FS as well as a HT at their demo.

I ended up with the Trek HT. I now have no doubt it is best for 90% of the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Resolved, get one Ht and one FS then you can ride with whom ever
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Moral support: picking a HT XC 29er over FS

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Resolved, get one Ht and one FS then you can ride with whom ever
    ^ This.......

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    For the trails you have described, a hard tail 29er would be great. And as mentioned, slightly slacker head angle would be good as well. There are several models. Are you talking about the 3 - is your price range up to $1500?