1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: monocog headset

smell my finger
    Mar 2008

monocog headset

I've used my new monocog 29er religiously for just over a month and have put countless hours and miles on her. The things I've changed so far are the seat, grips, pedals, brakes and tires. Riding some local singletrak last night and I hear some creaking form my headset. I'm wondering if I should pull it apart and check it out or just tighten in up a bit. Not sure if they have sealed bearings in the stock headset or is it possible to grease? Same for the stock BB I guess, should I pull apart to check out or? I use the bike hard but I'm pretty anal about cleanliness. I hose the thing down after most every ride and then wipe it down and clean/lube the chain. I know water is not great under pressure but I'll just do the necessary maintenance to keep it dialed in. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Are you sure it is the headset? Creaking is usually hard to locate and headsets don't creak very often. My recommendation would be to check all bolts on stem and bar. Anything loose there would certainly cause creaking.

If you want to take a look at the headset and know how to do it (including adjusting it afterwards) go for it. Nowadays some are sealed cartridge and some use cones and races. Best to simply take a look. In case it is cone and races give it a good grease pack. Cartridge bearings are usually completely maintenance free.

BBs do creak if there is not enough or no grease at all on the threads of the BB. Mind - the threads, not the bearings - as those are all cartridge type now. Also possible: The BB has come loose.

But more often than not the cranks creak. Again: check the bolts and tighten to manufacturer specs. Looking at the BB without need is not such a good idea. Disassembly is a bit more complex (chain off, arms off, tools and torque involved). I would not recommend doing this unless you really have to (or die for the experience).
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.