1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Mongoose vs. Gary Fisher

Hello all, I am currently looking to get a new MTB. I already ordered a Mongoose Amasa Super from Performance Bike for $849. I am also looking at a Gary Fisher Piranha at the Trek Store for $849 and the Trek 6000D for I think $799.

I guess my big question was that I chose the Mongoose over the GF on account of the SRAM components on the GF versus all Shimano on the Mongoose, including an XT RD. I have been out of MTB for a while but after doing some more research it looks as though SRAM is very nice.

Should I get the GF or the Trek instead of the Mongoose? Are they better quality frames?

Links

Amasa Super

mtbr member
    "Best" frame...is only what fits you best....mongoose has been making some sweet bikes...and some out here will diss gary fisher and trek due to their large market supremacy...

its up to you...i find that sram shifts really smootly and are reliable....
    but frame fit should be #1 priority...ride all of them...see what you like best
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    The full component set on the Mongoose is nicer than the GF. SRAM stuff is nice but the X.5 is the low end of the nicer stuff. Everything on the Mongoose is a step or two above the GF. But the bad thing i've seen with Mongoose is quality control isn't that good, and their frames are heavy. My brother got a Mongoose Otero super and it had a couple of issues which had to be warranted. The problems were taken care of by Performance though. (But we have performance stores in my area, and it was done at the store)

One thing which may be more important is fit. Were you able to ride the Amasa at the Performance store or is it being ordered online? Really if the GF or Trek feel good and fit good, as a beginner you likely won't notice the difference in the components anyway. The GF and Trek will probably have lighter frames and a better warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cata1yst
    "Best" frame...is only what fits you best....mongoose has been making some sweet bikes...and some out here will diss gary fisher and trek due to their large market supremacy...

its up to you...i find that sram shifts really smootly and are reliable....
    but frame fit should be #1 priority...ride all of them...see what you like best
    Thanks, I rode the GF and it was ok, not great. I was just curious if there were any real quality differences.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    The full component set on the Mongoose is nicer than the GF. SRAM stuff is nice but the X.5 is the low end of the nicer stuff. Everything on the Mongoose is a step or two above the GF. But the bad thing i've seen with Mongoose is quality control isn't that good, and their frames are heavy. My brother got a Mongoose Otero super and it had a couple of issues which had to be warranted. The problems were taken care of by Performance though. (But we have performance stores in my area, and it was done at the store)

One thing which may be more important is fit. Were you able to ride the Amasa at the Performance store or is it being ordered online? Really if the GF or Trek feel good and fit good, as a beginner you likely won't notice the difference in the components anyway. The GF and Trek will probably have lighter frames and a better warranty.
    Thanks, I am getting it from a local Performance Bike shop they just have to order me an XL. Considering how great PB seems to be I think I will just stick with the Mongoose and if anything goes wrong I can just get it replaced through them or otherwise I will just get a new frame and switch over all the components. Plus I really like the wheels on the Amasa

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I know staff at both firms a they both make good products. If you're buying via web or mail order the extra overhead of a Trek/Fisher may not be relevant.

In defense of Mongoose. Some of their product managers are regulars in our bike club and we see their prototypes and the passion they have for making better products so it may not be fair to judge past against recent product and I also just saw a cracked Fisher where the bottom line is any firm can have a quality problem and a good dealer will help you get it fixed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i would go with gary fisher all the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I know staff at both firms a they both make good products. If you're buying via web or mail order the extra overhead of a Trek/Fisher may not be relevant.

In defense of Mongoose. Some of their product managers are regulars in our bike club and we see their prototypes and the passion they have for making better products so it may not be fair to judge past against recent product and I also just saw a cracked Fisher where the bottom line is any firm can have a quality problem and a good dealer will help you get it fixed.
    Thanks, I am just going to stick with the Mongoose and trust that if any frame issues arise that Performance bike will back me up. If no then I will just have to get a new frame.

Singletrack +1
    What do you think the overhead on a Trek from a LBS really is? Just curious, because in a comparison, are they really that much higher? Not to mention a lifetime replacement warranty on frames... seems like a good deal if the frame fits perfectly....
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by evodon84
    Thanks, I am just going to stick with the Mongoose and trust that if any frame issues arise that Performance bike will back me up. If no then I will just have to get a new frame.
    I have a Mongoose Canaan Team frame and love it,they make damn good bikes now!I have also had a GF frame and liked that also and wouldn't mind another one.

Performance will back you up,from what I have read they're pretty good with warranties and I believe the Mongoose does have a lifetime warranty.
    Last edited by CRed; 08-13-2008 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    im rocking an 07 mongoose ritual dirt jumper, for awhile mongooses were just wally world specials, but they are making a comeback, their downhill/freeride lines seem to be awesome values, i think it all depends on fit and which bike you like best