1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Mongoose Tyax Super 2007 - Worth servicing

Just bought one of these from ebay as my son is getting a new bike for Xmas and wanted to go out together so......

This is the bike Mongoose Tyax Super 2007 Mountain Bike | eBay

What i was wondering was is it worth putting this in for a full service at my local bike shop as i know little about maintaining bikes other than my own Sports Motorbike and to be honest I really cant be bothered ....

So for 60 is it worth it on a bike at this price, however i know i need to get the forks looked at ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Good bike for the price.

It should be good to ride without too much tuning. the fork bushings should cost about $20-30 for a kit, and just replacing the bushings should take about 30 minutes. This is more of a ride it for a litle while, get a feel for it, and take it in if you feel it's worth it. re-building the fork will be worth it if the fork is actuaoly worn, but everybody has a different opinion on how worn out it really is.

Based on how old your son is (over 10), he might have time to learn how to fix it up. Great bonding and learning experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, what is will do is have a look for the kit ( any advice on what I am looking for) also my son is 14 but still means he can keep up with me now

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    check out the Park tools website and Performance Bikes website for tune-up advice and videos.

Do a search for SRAM XC28 or Dart3 service manual for re-build info. Should be able to find a "Dart3 rebuild kit" online pretty easy.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Good bike for the price.

It should be good to ride without too much tuning.
    You must be quite a mechanic to be able to tell that from a picture...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd wait until you get the bike in your hands to check it out.
    As far as the fork, I'd ride it the way it is and watch for a used fork or a deal on something cheap. Depending on what riding you intend to do, a rigid fork or something like a RockShox XC30 might do. Lots of deals and sales at this time of year. By the time you get bushings and seals in a Dart 3 you will have spent more than the fork is worth.