I'm looking at getting into the sport and am looking for an entry level bike to start out with. I've done a lot of research and are considering these two options. Both bikes are fairly similar with these main features:
1. Mongoose Tyax Elite 2008
• Suntour XCM-HLO Hydraulic Lockout and preload adj front shock
• Front Derailleur: SR Suntour XCM-202
• Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M410 Alivio 8sp
• Shifters: Shimano Alivio Rapidfire 24 speed
• Brakes: ProMax mechanical disc, 160 mm rotor
• Price: R 2,850 (+-$ 365)
2. Schwinn Mesa GS 2008
• Suntour XCM MLO Mechanical Lockout and preload adj front shock
• Front Derailleur: Shimano FD M310 New Altus 31.8 top pull
• Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
• Shifters: Shimano Alivio rapid-fire trigger
• Brakes: TektroV-Brakes
• Price: R 3,300 (+-$ 425)
As can be seen they are very similar with the Mongoose having disk brakes but the Schwinn having a Deore rear derailleur and costing $60 extra. I'm assuming both being good brands that the frames are of a simialr standard?
I'm tending towards the Mongoose at this stage...
Any input from experienced riders here would be appreciated.
Ok. I just saw another alternative. The Specialized Hardrock for +-$430. This bike, however, only has Alcera Rear Derailleur and Altus Front, no lockout on fork, and V-Brakes...Any thoughts on the 3?
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »