1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Mongoose Tyax Elite '08 vs. Schwinn Mesa GS '08

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting into the sport and am looking for an entry level bike to start out with. I've done a lot of research and are considering these two options. Both bikes are fairly similar with these main features:

1. Mongoose Tyax Elite 2008

• Suntour XCM-HLO Hydraulic Lockout and preload adj front shock
    • Front Derailleur: SR Suntour XCM-202
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M410 Alivio 8sp
    • Shifters: Shimano Alivio Rapidfire 24 speed
    • Brakes: ProMax mechanical disc, 160 mm rotor
    • Price: R 2,850 (+-$ 365)

2. Schwinn Mesa GS 2008

• Suntour XCM MLO Mechanical Lockout and preload adj front shock
    • Front Derailleur: Shimano FD M310 New Altus 31.8 top pull
    • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore
    • Shifters: Shimano Alivio rapid-fire trigger
    • Brakes: TektroV-Brakes
    • Price: R 3,300 (+-$ 425)

As can be seen they are very similar with the Mongoose having disk brakes but the Schwinn having a Deore rear derailleur and costing $60 extra. I'm assuming both being good brands that the frames are of a simialr standard?

I'm tending towards the Mongoose at this stage...

Any input from experienced riders here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

Ok. I just saw another alternative. The Specialized Hardrock for +-$430. This bike, however, only has Alcera Rear Derailleur and Altus Front, no lockout on fork, and V-Brakes...Any thoughts on the 3?
    Last edited by Jase22; 05-12-2008 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    the first two look like dept store bikes. schwinn and mongoose are low end brands. i usually steer away from them.

of the 3 i'd get the hardrock. better frame design all together

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a schwinn mesa.. rock solid frame. great to build off.. but having a bike w/ disks is nice.. cheeper to upgrade don the road. how much is the mesa gsd"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

I was told that most of the bottom of the range bikes from the different suppliers including Specialized come from the same factory in China or Taiwan? Not too sure of the truth in this.

Also the Mongoose and Schwinn looked like good quality bikes with decent components. The Specialized was obviously also quality but had very dissapointing Acera/Altus components…

The Schwinn Mesa GSD is around $515 here, so a bit out of my price range.

Based on advice from a friend, I think I might also consider a second hand bike now. He said that way I could get better components at the same price…