1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Mongoose Teocali Comp

Alright, so I have been lurking around the forums for a couple weeks and picked up a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for that btw. Anyways, I have been looking for a descent platform on which to start building on. Something inexpensive but not necessarily cheap. So naturally I turned to craiglist and ebay to look for a deal.

So I found a 2008 Moongoose teocali comp that a guy only wants a couple hundred bucks for. I think the frame will hold up well enough to start replacing some parts while I keep looking for a nicer frame.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...Comp&Type=bike

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
    MSRP (new) $1,199.99
    Weight Unspecified
    Sizes Small, medium, large
    Colors Pearl White/Pearl Steel Grey
    Item ID 13392

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model SR Suntour Epicon, 140mm travel
    Fork Material Single
    Rear Shock SR Suntour Epicon, 145mm travel

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Tektro Auriga Comp w/180mm rotor brakes, Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic levers
    Shift Levers SRAM X.5 Trigger
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Crankset Shimano M442, 22/32/44 teeth
    Pedals M-logo alloy platform
    Bottom Bracket Shimano ES25
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Chain KMC Z9200, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost M-logo Alloy, 31.6mm diameter
    Saddle WTB Classic Cut
    Handlebar Mongoose 31.8 Riser
    Handlebar Extensions Unspecified
    Handlebar Stem Mongoose 31.8
    Headset 1 1/8" Ritchey Logic Zero

Wheels
    Hubs Front: Formula DC19, Rear: Formula DC25
    Rims WTB Speed Disc All-Mountain, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.10" Kenda Nevagal
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel
    Spoke Nipples Brass UCP

So the question is. Was I correct in the assumption I can build off of this until I find a good deal on a.. say maybe a heckler frame? Is there anything on this bike I should be weary of or look out for when I got check it our tomorrow?

I would also note, I have been pretty patient waiting for a good deal and am kind of at the point where I just need any bike to go ride because I have nothing right now.

Any other input is also appreciated.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    The only thing I can think of is to check the frame/welds for cracks. Make sure you feel comfortable on it.

One of the things I overlooked is saving some money for things like tools/safety gear. Check the sticky thread at the top of the beginner forums.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    I think it is a good deal and yes you could build it up if you want. The fork is the best budget fork you can get I have one. The only problem is you need to clean and lube the fork every ride because the dust seals are not so great but its easy. The tektro brakes are good but heavy and the stock pads stink I run EBC green stuff pads and they stop just as good as any. You cant go wrong for 200 dollars and if you upgrade the bike when you get the money for a better frame you can just swap the parts. I would jump on that and if you dont get it let me know I will get it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The teocali is a great bike for the price, and a nice frame as well. For that kind of money you should snap it up!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the replies. On my way out the door to check it out.

mtbr member
    cool let us know

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Alright, I picked up the bike. It looks good, rides well and fits me just fine. The rear brake pad feels like it needs replacement. I already had my LBS give it the once over and get the bike set up for me. I'm very excited and can't wait to go ride.

So as of right now I have a helmet and a bike. Probably going to be searching the tools threads around here and seeing what bike specific tools I will need when I feel like taking it all apart. Which I'm sure I will soon. I have a ton of general automotive and home repair tools, but lack the bicycle specific ones.

Any recommendations for tools or other gear that I may not think of right away?

mtbr member
    something like this you will be good http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-workshop-tool-kit/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters
    something like this you will be good http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-workshop-tool-kit/
    I have most of these tools but there are some bike specific tools in there I am lacking. I assumed that most of the "wrench" tools listed in the description should be common to he rest of my wrenches.

These are the ones that I think would be missing from my tools.

3 nylon tyre levers
    Chain rivet extractor with rubber handle for easy grip
    2 in 1 cotterless crank tool for use with square tapered, ISIS and Shimano Octalink
    Cassette lockring remover

Thanks

What?
    I have the same bike.... well.... same bike frame. Nothing else is stock anymore. I love the way it rides. There is a design flaw in the bottom bracket pivot bearing though. They need to be replaced every 6-12 months(depending on how hard you ride). Its annoying, but the bike is worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I have the same bike.... well.... same bike frame. Nothing else is stock anymore. I love the way it rides. There is a design flaw in the bottom bracket pivot bearing though. They need to be replaced every 6-12 months(depending on how hard you ride). Its annoying, but the bike is worth it.
    Thanks for the input. Do you happen to have a link to a good price on those bearings?

mtbr member
    First congrats on the Teocali, I have the 2009 super and absolutely love this bike.
    Get the enduro max bearings thats what most agree is the best way to go. I have not had to replace mine yet. But you will need size 688 bearings for the bottom bracket pivots and I believe 6000 for the main pivots. You can get them for 6 bucks at universal cyle. Items 13362-29215 and 13362-29205. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=13362

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra8d
    First congrats on the Teocali, I have the 2009 super and absolutely love this bike.
    Get the enduro max bearings thats what most agree is the best way to go. I have not had to replace mine yet. But you will need size 688 bearings for the bottom bracket pivots and I believe 6000 for the main pivots. You can get them for 6 bucks at universal cyle. Items 13362-29215 and 13362-29205. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=13362

What he said. Buy you can get them cheaper then 6 bucks each. Just google "enduro max 688"

You asked about tools, But yourself a 1/4'' drive torque wrench rated for 0-200 in/lbs. You will need it to properly torque all the frame bolts. Check out http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/mtn/tech and learn about your new frame. Also, Check out the mongoose forum on here. There is a lot of talk about the mongoose freedrive bikes and what to look for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    From my reading around sounds like these bearing go out pretty quick. Gonna stock up on these.

Seriously, I am so excited to go out. I had the bike in my car since I came to work after picking it up and my buddy said I looked like a kid in a candy store riding around the parking lot. Already got some friends to come out on Sunday for a nice leisurely trail ride.

Once again thanks for the replies guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There is no such thing as a better AM frame then a Teocali frame

T.W.O
    Man I wish someone was selling one of these by me for a few hundred.. damn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90
    Man I wish someone was selling one of these by me for a few hundred.. damn.
    Took me weeks of querying 30+ different manufactures and models every day to find this one. Stay vigilant on craigslist and ebay and you will find something good.

So, I thought the rear brake pad was done. But, I pulled the pads out and they looked better than the front. The lever throw was also all the way backed out so I couldn't get any more out of it with adjustment alone. Looks like I need to find a bleed kit before Sunday or bite the bullet and take it to a shop to have them bled.

What?
    You can buy mine!

Its a bad picture(getting ready to move) But I havent taken a new picture in almost a year, so I figured I would.

T.W.O
    I bet yours isn't on sale for a few hundred now is it... lol