1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Mongoose Rockadile ALD upgrade or replace, budget $500

Hello, my wife gave me a $500 dollar budget to spend on a mountain bike. I currently have a Mongoose Rockadile ALD Pro, I know it isn't the highest quality bike. I have been averaging around 50-70 miles a week on it with no problems. My question is should I get ride or it (replace) or should I spend the money I was going to replace it with and upgrade some of the inferior components. Here are the specs...

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material 6061 T6 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model RST Mozo Vibe-R, 80mm travel
    Fork Material Aluminum, single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Tektro IO Mechanical Disc brakes, Shimano ST-EF35 EZ Fire STI levers
    Shift Levers Shimano ST-EF35 EZ Fire STI
    Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Crankset TruVativ Iso-Flow, 22/32/42 teeth
    Pedals Nylon MTB
    Bottom Bracket Unspecified
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain KMC Z72, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust
    Saddle Mongoose Dual Density
    Handlebar Steel, rise
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless aluminum threadless

Wheels
    Hubs Formula disc
    Rims Alex SCE-17, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 1.95" Kenda Koyote
    Spoke Brand Unspecified
    Spoke Nipples Unspecified

Rogue Exterminator
    Get rid of it and replace it with a wife that will give you a bigger budget.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was thinking of replacing the drive train and shifters with sram x.7, brakes, and better fork.......
    Or is the frame not even worth saving?

Rogue Exterminator
    Does that mean getting rid of the wife wasn't one of the options?

Ok, on a serious note.
    You will get mixed opinions on this. Some will say if you like the frame upgrade it, some will say new bike. With a budget of $500 it makes it tough to but not impossible to buy new.
    I got my Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er at end of year close out for $500 and it is a great bike for $500. I have a nicer full quish bike now also and still ride the Marin almost as much.
    Right now it is a good time to start looking for clearance stuff if you want to buy new.

Used opens up the options. Of course, you could be buying a problem if you don't know what to look for.

Personally I wouldn't throw $500 in that bike. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    Of course, it isn't my bike and I don't have to ride it. So if you really like the frame and fit it may make sense to you.

50-70 miles a week is a decent amount of riding and also IMO certainly enough riding to justify spending more money. If $500 is all you can afford right now, I would set it aside adding more to it as you can until you either find a great deal or save up to get what you want. Meanwhile you keep riding the Goose until then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just by looking at the parts that came on this Mongoose stock, which would you guys suggest to replace first?

mtbr member
    Replace it with a decent used bike. I wouldnt upgrade it. $500 on a new bike unfortunately, would not not really put you ahead of what you already have.

Rogue Exterminator
    Start with the fork.

After that work on wore out parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What is everyone's opinion on buying a new frame, migrating my existing parts over, and then slowly upgrading failing components?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Armstrong View Post
    What is everyone's opinion on buying a new frame, migrating my existing parts over, and then slowly upgrading failing components?
    This is what I would do.
    On-One Inbred 26er Vertical Dropout Frame $250

Spend about $200 for a fork. Maybe Manitou Match Comp 100mm/130mm Fork and $50 for a new headset

Then slowly over time upgrade. Spend time looking for clearance items at places like Jenson and the UK based shops.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Either get something newer and nicer, like this for $660: Specialized Bicycle Components

Or upgrade the fork and drivetrain. Make sure you get an air fork. And X7 or higher components.

This would be really nice if you could swing it: On-One Inbred 26er X5 Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Either get something newer and nicer, like this for $660: Specialized Bicycle Components

Or upgrade the fork and drivetrain. Make sure you get an air fork. And X7 or higher components.

This would be really nice if you could swing it: On-One Inbred 26er X5 Mountain Bike
    Do you really think that $660 specialized would be that high of an upgrade over what I have already?

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Imho my opinion the specialized is not worth that.But this time of the year you could get it for less them that probably.If you look around you can get some pretty good deals on clearance bikes.I got my Marlin for 430 compared to 660ish msrp. That was because I had a friend get it for me at wholesale price.But with the marlin being replaced with the new x-caliber series you may be able to get a similar deal.I'm not sure how close you are to me but I am wanting to sell mine soon.I think getting the on one inbred frame and transferring components and upgrading as needed would also be a solid idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    GT's Factory Outlet store is in my home town, I was able to find a GT Karakoram 2.0 29'er 2013 model for $399(msrp $1000), which in my mind was an incredible find. I hope this will be a significant upgrade from my previous ride! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Here is it's specs:

COLOR(S) x Black Pearl Satin, Gun Metal Grey Satin
    FRAME a NEW 29" Hydroformed & Butted Speed Metal™ Aluminum (TT/DT) Frame, w/ Triple Triangle™, Replaceable Derailleur
    Hanger, Disc Brake Mounts, and Zerostack 1-1/8" Head Tube
    FORK b Rock Shox XC28 TK Mg w/100mm Travel, 29", Hydraulically Damped, Magnesium Lowers, 28mm Chrome Steel Uppers,
    Forged Crown, Post Mount Disc Brake, Turn Key Lock Out, Rebound Adjust, QR
    CRANKSET i Shimano Alivio FC-M430, 44/32/22T
    BOTTOM BRACKET l Tange Sealed
    PEDALS h GT Slim Line Flat Pedal, Cast Alloy
    DERAILLEUR m (F) Shimano Acera FD-M390, (R) Shimano Deore Shadow, RD-M592
    SHIFTERS o Shimano Alivio, Sl-M430, Rapid Fire
    REAR COGS k Shimano CS-HG30-9, 11-34T, 9 Speed
    CHAIN j Hg53
    RIMS d Alex TD19, Double Wall, 32H
    TIRES g Maxxis Aspen 29" x 2.1"
    HUBS e (F) All Terra Alloy Disc, w/ Quick Release, (R) All Terra Alloy Cassette Disc, w/ Quick Release
    SPOKES f 14g Stainless
    NIPPLES f Brass
    FRONT BRAKE s (F) Shimano BR-M395, Hydraulic Disc, w/ 160mm Rotor, (R) Shimano BR-M395, Hydraulic Disc, w/ 160mm Rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS t Shimano Bl-M395 Hydraulic
    HANDLEBAR p All Terra 6061 Aluminum Flat Top Riser, 690mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    STEM q All Terra 1-1/8" Threadless, 3D Forged, 4-Bolt w/ CNC Face Plate, 5° Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    GRIPS 4 GT Slim Line Racing Wing w/ Waffle
    HEADSET r FSA No.10 1-1/8" Threadless, Zerostack
    SADDLE u All Terra Tacoma
    SEAT POST v All Terra Alloy Micro-Adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT CLAMP 5 All Terra Alloy QR

KARAKORAM 2.0
    Last edited by Daniel Armstrong; 09-10-2013 at 03:07 PM.