1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Bicyclist
    Mar 2008

Mongoose Blackcomb Owners Only Please:)

The fully loaded Mongoose Blackcomb is as tough as they come, with a 4-bar vertical spring dual suspension that just gobbles bumps for breakfast. EZ Fire shifters let you adjust to terrain changes with quick, precise shifting. And ProMax disc brakes provide sure stopping in even the muddiest, sloppiest conditions.

Specifications:

* Frame type: 4-bar vertical spring aluminum dual suspension frame
    * Frame material: Aluminum for light weight and durability
    * Suspension fork: RST Capa-T6; coil/MCU spring, non-adjustable 75mm
    * Rear suspension: Adjustable coil
    * Shifting: 24-speed Shimano gearing with EZ Fire shifters
    * Stem: 25.4 ahead stem
    * Handlebars: Alloy MTB rise
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano C050
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
    * Brakes: Front and rear Promax mechanical Dual Disc
    * Wheels: 26" 36-spoke black anodized alloy rims; alloy QR disc hubs
    * Gears: Suntour XCC 28/38/48; Shimano HG30 11-28T
    * Tires: Kenda 26" x 2.1"
    * Pedals: Mongoose MTB
    * Seat: WTB Speed-V
    * MOZO Vibe E fork to smooth out front impacts

Hey Mongoose Blackcomb owners.

I've been researching this bicycle and looking for your input. Upgrade information, change gearing, etc..Post a picture of your sweet ride.
    Please don't reply to this thread if you're only just a LBS snob who doesn't like this bike. I've already heard everything from that "type" of person.
    Thank you Mongoose Blackcomb Owners, have a great ride

mtbr member

It's only $300 dollars dude. You don't need to research for 8 months to buy it, especially considering anything anyone tells you that you disagree with you just ignore. Go away.
    :wq

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc

It's only $300 dollars dude. You don't need to research for 8 months to buy it, especially considering anything anyone tells you that you disagree with you just ignore. Go away.
    go break a leg
    can you not read the subject?
    If you have no interest in this bicycle don't bother the thread man.
    I'll research anything for as long as I wish!!
    A prime example of LBS snob attitude.
    I'm glad people in my city don't have that type of attitude.

mtbr member
    I don't like that bike.
    You can get a better bike at the Local Bike Shop.

On edit: I found several nice Moongooses you can get at LBS.

Teocali Super.

Or something on a tighter budget.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinBicycle
    go break a leg

Already got you beat..

A prime example of LSB snob attitude.
    I'm glad people in my city don't have that type of attitude.
    It's LBS and I'm just glad you're not in my city.

We get titles?
    Do you honestly think that anybody dumb enough to buy that bike would be able to power up a computer, let alone find their way to this website?
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    upNdown, meet KevinBicycle..

mtbr member
    Would I be a snob if I told you "you could get a much better bike at an LBS for the same price"? If so well...

You could get a much better bike at an LBS for the same price.

(and it wont suck OR break the first time you take it out)
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Guess I could be considered an "LBS snob" (every bike I've purchased since I was around 15 has been from an LBS)....but I am all about smoking deals found elsewhere.

Case in point: my friend's Ironhorse. He purchased his Ironhorse hardtail from ***** Sporting Goods here in FL. Came with a stout (yet relatively light) steel frame, great components, and a great front fork for the package price. Price tag was maybe $20-40 more than what you are spending. That is one hell of a deal on a bike that will take whatever you can throw at it AND is pretty much infinitely upgradable. Ends up being a great starter bike that will grow with you.

This Mongoose just reminds me of every Next or Schwinn full suspension bike I see rolling around my town. Most of them never see offroad duty yet their drivetrain is toast and the rear suspension severely sags. Most of the components on this bike are name brand, but bottom of the barrel and somewhat fragile. They don't leave much room for growth/expansion as your skill level increases. For $300-400 you honestly aren't going to find a quality brand new full suspension bike that will last through a season of off road adventures.

In the end it is your dime and your life on the line. Do what you think is best. My .02
    Signature

Made in Canada
    I'm glad you like the bike you have contemplated buying. The truth is you're not going to find many people out there in the world that absolutely adore this bike and have amazing things to say about it. Really, if you like it that much, just spend the money on it! After all it's a department store bike, it's "worth" just getting if you like it that much. Also, you should've posted this in other manufacturers to avoid flaming... which is already occurring. I'm not to sure who these LBS "snobs" are, but heck it's the truth, this bike is running Alivio, it's an ok beginner bike but nothing more. Anyways Good Day to you Sir...

**Sits back and watches the flames roll in...**

PS I don't buy from my LBS I shop ONLINE!!
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Please don't reply to this thread if you're only just a LBS snob who doesn't like this bike. I've already heard everything from that "type" of person.
    Tha't's what I'm saying... "if you don't like this bike, please don't reply"

I've heard people say that bicyclers are the nicest people...They haven't read these forums. Not on these forums. I bet these LBS snobs act like that on the trail too. Not on my trails.

mtbr member
    "if you don't like this bike, please don't reply"
    Thank you for proving my point. If someone doesn't agree with you, you don't want to listen. Just go buy the bike already since you're not going to listen to anything negative about it.

Made in Canada

I've heard people say that bicyclers are the nicest people...They haven't read these forums. Not on these forums. I bet these LBS snobs act like that on the trail too. Not on my trails.
    I'm not acting like a "snob" I am a very nice person if you just got to know me but I'm just trying to help you out too, if you like it that much just go out and get it! It's not the best bang for your buck or the best components or weight for a beginner bike, but hey it's your money, I don't want you to waste it... and please stop with the LBS stuff... I don't even shop at one...

Anyways whatever I won't post anymore... just trying to help... I went down that road before and regretted it... just trying to help, get yourself a nice hardtail!
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    Sad thing is most people posting in here are trying to help you.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

Probably drunk right now

Your trails?

I've ridden with a bunch of MORC members from Duluth. And based on your definition, they're most certainly "LBS" snobs. They don't ride department store bikes and they purchase their mountain bikes from bike specific dealers.

I have no opinion on this bike other than it's not intended for off road use. Since this is the case, it's not a mountain bike. And this is a mountain bike forum. So I'm not sure why you're soliciting opinions about a sidewalk/paved trail bike on a mountain bike forum?

A rock crawler and a Ford Taurus both have a motor, a steering wheel and 4 tires. I wouldn't use the Taurus on the Slickrock Trail in Moab. I wouldn't use a Rock Crawler on an Interstate road trip across Kansas. Two "cars" for two different purposes. I don't use my FS mountain bike to commute across town. I don't use my road bike on singletrack. I wouldn't spend money on the bike you're wanting people to approve because it doesn't have a real, intended use. It's a sidewalk bike with some mountain bike like features. It's impractical and illogical.

So you and I are on the same page, I have two mountain bikes and one road bike. None of which I've purchased from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Hi. I am not a LBS snob. I build my own bikes and maintain them myself. That being said, I propose that we do exactly as Kevin has asked. Don't respond to his thread. When he sees that there aren't any people to respond with reviews of his bike He will see what we are talking about.

To Kevin,

We are expressing our concerns based on our own experiences. We are trying to explain that cheap bikes like that are not servicable as off-road bikes. The $200 or whatever they are asking is not a huge investment. Buy the bike and prove us wrong. If it works and you can review your bike objectively then do it. You should just know that you are swimming against the tide of experience here. That being said, ride on and let's all have fun on our bikes. I love bikes!

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    ok, what I was trying to do here... if you would please refer to the original post.... was to gather information from Mongoose Blackcomb owners only. I'm researching information on this bicycle as well as a few others. But I was looking for input only from Mongoose Blackcomb owners.
    The LBS shoppers say "if you like it, hurry up and buy it, if you don't like it dis it, if you want a better bike go to a LBS." Did I mention that every LBS shopper says the same thing? I'm just simply trying to do the research on this bicycle. Sorry to sound silly for those of you who were truely just trying to be helpful, but I've already heard all of this. If I wanted to buy a bicycle at a LBS, I would. I can get one at cost. Anyway, as you can read here, I am simply looking for Mongoose Blackcomb owners to reply to this thread with their information.

mtbr member
    If you can get a better bike for cost at an LBS, why are you so hard for this walmart bike?

Also, if you've heard the same thing from everyone who cycles seriously, maybe you should take a step back, pull your head out and accept that other people know more about the subject than you.

Probably drunk right now

Get real....

ok, what I was trying to do here... if you would please refer to the original post.... was to gather information from Mongoose Blackcomb owners only. I'm researching information on this bicycle as well as a few others. But I was looking for input only from Mongoose Blackcomb owners.
    The LBS shoppers say "if you like it, hurry up and buy it, if you don't like it dis it, if you want a better bike go to a LBS." Did I mention that every LBS shopper says the same thing? I'm just simply trying to do the research on this bicycle. Sorry to sound silly for those of you who were truely just trying to be helpful, but I've already heard all of this. If I wanted to buy a bicycle at a LBS, I would. I can get one at cost. Anyway, as you can read here, I am simply looking for Mongoose Blackcomb owners to reply to this thread with their information.

First, suggesting that every LBS shopper says the same thing is simply incorrect.

You're not "doing research on this bike". You're asking people on a mountain biking website to validate your opinion on a bike that isn't a mountain bike.

You can get a bike from a LBS at cost? At cost? Really? Why are you looking to pay retail for a sidewalk bike if you can obtain a mountain bike at cost?

mtbr member
    y'know, i was wrong.. ive been looking at that bike and have realized that its a pretty super ride. the welds look clean as hell, the suspension design is flawless, the components are unbelievably durable and reliable and the frame is a true work of art. If i had room for another bike, I would probably drive on down to walmart and throw down my sack of nickels and come home a happy boy. buy it and huck it off the biggest jump you can and show these LSB snobs they ain't all that. Git er done!!!!

surfer w/out waves
    wow!

I don't think there are any "Mongoose Blackcomb Owners" on this entire forum... That is why you haven't gotten a response from one... I'm not an LBS snob, I order most of my parts online and tool away in my garage, but you are indeed better off NOT buying that thing... Everyone who has posted above atleast knows good components when they see them... I don't believe you could call those anywhere near mediocre components.

******my post is highly hypocritical since I have advocated (many times) not flaming other peoples choices of bikes... It is their own bike and they are going to ride it*****

However, this pile of metalized vomit deserves to be flamed with the utmost disrespect! May an army of violent LBS snobs flame your crappy piece of crap back to the crappy Xmart it came from!

I fart in your general direction... and now begone you silly Englishman or I shall taunt you a second time!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

surfer w/out waves
    PS: is this OP legit???

good read: http://www.dirtworld.com/productrevi...7713&rn=5&rt=4
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Nobody on this site owns that bike or they would have replied. Buy it, take it for a ride and hopefully it will not break. Happy riding
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    I've been riding bicycle for over 30 years almost everyday. The only reason I go to the LBS is to visit with friends (that work there) or to pick up needed parts. I am trying not to buy a bike there. Alright we have purchased one Specialized Hard Rock there, but I will not buy a LBS bike for me to ride. Did I mention that I ride almost everyday?

mtbr member
    Mistake #1: Telling people who don't own a certain POS bike to stay out of a thread located on a public forum dedicated to mountain bikers.

Mistake #2. Calling people snobs.

Mistake #3. Claiming you can get a better bike at wholesale, and not doing it.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast