Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mongoose BlackComb

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  posey24 
#1 ·
So i have a mongoose black comb and my son is due any day now so funds are very low. i currently replaced my bend rear disc with a circular saw blade... looks good but ill replace evectually.. my way of thinking is i can used this a base and buy some decent parts for it til i get a better bike and jus switch those parts to it if need be or sell them to put into the bike. my brakes word so im thinking of repacing the rear shock first cut i have the money for it. im thinking of getting a used NOLEEN MEGA AIR K2 Rear Air Shock Spring off ebay for 65 bux of so... any input....? also im in SoCAL near temecula.. any good trails near by i know of Vail lake and rainbow canyon but have never been. any new trails or tips on those trails would be awsome or if anyone wants to ride let me know....

#3 ·
Dude, I would definitely replace that bent rear brake rotor with.....a new rear brake rotor. The brake rotors are slotted and made in a way that dissipates heat. Using a circular saw blade just ain't an option. You will fry your rear brakes and possible damage your caliper. I would worry about the other stuff later. Your brakes are the most important system on your bike. You gotta be able to stop.

Thal

#7 ·
lol good point bout the holes for heat dissapation i drilled those 2. but yea PVC that would be awsome i think ill try that one.. anyone in the Temecula area wanna ride. i aint got a good bike but ill bet ill keep up with any of ya lol. but thanx for the input from everyone. im barting with a friend my dad works with at Camp Pendalton. im workin on his car and he's giving me a K2 NOLEEN MEGA AIR Mountain Rear Suspension Bike Shock so any input on that shock...

#8 ·
They're messing with you on the PVC. Don't do it...

Don't upgrade the bike. Use it until you can't use it any more and then replace it. I'm guessing you have access to a lathe and drill press and you machined your own rotor?

#15 ·
So still have the black comb and will for a while but i have a friend that has some cranks and im not sure what type this black comb has so i know what kind to look for... some have a square taper what does that mean..i think mine is 175mm.... thats the length from the pedal to the center of the crank arm right... I was lookin at this oneShimano Alivio FC-M410 Compact Crank Set or FSA A-Drive Square Taper Crankset any and all help is appriciated... or a section that explains this stuff as well.. anyone in Temecula, Murrieta, Winchester area of SoCal let me know... SAW BLADE PICS COMING ASAP....

#16 ·
And what does BB stand for with crank sets....? any other crank info or links to learn with would be great....

LOL also do you need special tools to change out Crank Sets? If so any Car tools that would work cuz my dads shop has a lot...thanx for any and all critisasm lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.