1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Mojave 8.0 replacement parts?

I just got back from a hard ride with a few friends. Mud, river crossings, jumps and rocks. i went through a thorough cleaning as i always do after a ride but this time i noticed a few missing parts. I had a blue lever on my fork for adjusting my shocks, it was quick and easy i really used this. Unfortunately, its not there anymore, anyone know where i can get a new piece like this? Also, i got a flat, i fixed it on the trail but it was really unpleasant. Thus, im looking for some durable inner tubes. I looked at liners, but didn't dig it. Slime seemed like it would mess up balance. I can handle the weight of a heavy duty tube, but i could not find some for a 26 X 2.10 tire. Blah, so frustrating.

Should i upgrade to clip ins? i feel like its a horrible idea especially if i were to fall or if i needed to slide through a turn.

mtbr member
    For the knob on your fork, it would help to know what fork you have. I recommend contacting the manufacturer via your local bike shop. They can order all sorts of random parts that are not sold retail.

Flats happen. Fact of life.
    There are some "thicker" tubes available, but the weight goes up, obviously. Make sure you're running a large enough tube. They usually come with a range of tire sizes on them, so make sure you're not stretching a 1.5 to fit in a 2.1 tire....that will weaken the tube. Check your tire pressure too. If you're getting pinch flats, you should increase your pressure and try that out.

"Clip-ins" are actually called Clipless, because the eliminate the need for toe clips (those cage things). Clipless pedals are awesome. There is a slight learning curve, but it's really not as bad as people make it sound. Once you master entry/exit, you'll love them. And yes, you can unclip one side to "slide" through a turn and clip back in. No problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are there any alternatives for adjusting the suspension? any other way i can make it softer.

mtbr member
    You can get softer springs (for coil/oil forks), or lower the air pressure (air sprung forks), and depending on the model you own, you can adjust certain settings, such as the preload (which is based on your weight).

Once again....it would help to know what model you have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    SR XCR 100 mm suspension fork

mtbr member
    Looks like that model has a preload adjuster, and a lockout. Check the user manual, and follow the steps for adjusting the preload....or, if you want to just mess about, it's lefty-loosey-righty-tighty on the preload knob. This will make the shock feel softer.

And for that lock-out lever, you'll have to see about ordering that through your local shop. It's a lower-end fork, so I doubt you'll find any complete re-build kits that include those sorts of parts.
    Last edited by MrMook; 07-07-2008 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    with that fork, there may be a few replacement parts for it ... but there arnt any kind of 'rebuild and mod' kits ...i have the same fork ... overall you would be better off saving up some money and getting something like a RS Tora 318 air fork ... or any other one that has a larger aftermarket.