1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Model year? any ideas?

I recently picked up my old bike that I had when I was younger...still in great shape and fixed back up ready to ride. Trying to figure out what year it is though. Initially, I thought it was a 93 model, but from what I understand, the 93 had 21 speeds. This is an 18 speed Hardrock. It's all original except for the seat, tires, and grips. Shimano Altus C20 hardware all around. Any thought? 91, 92 maybe?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model year?  any ideas?-specialized-hardrock.jpg  

mtbr member
    If you look under the bottom bracket tube, there should be a serial number. Somewhere in that sequence of numbers and letters is the manufacturer date. If it was a 1993 model, there should be a "93" in there somewhere or even a "92" if it was made at the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    If you look under the bottom bracket tube, there should be a serial number. Somewhere in that sequence of numbers and letters is the manufacturer date. If it was a 1993 model, there should be a "93" in there somewhere or even a "92" if it was made at the end of the year.
    Thinking that may not work with my bike. The serial is P03M2104...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'm thinking late 1980s or early 1990s(pre-1994), based on zero suspension and Cantilever brakes.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    From what I've gathered, the 93 had the Shimano Altus C20 hardware, but all the ones I've come across were 21 speeds... so then I thought 91 or 92, but I haven't found where any of those came with that particular hardware. 92 1\2 maybe? not sure if they made changes mid year then or not.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member

Model year? any ideas?

Looks like a 92. Tough to tell from looking at those archives on my phone, but the color seems to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Somehow I'm thinking it's somewhere between a 92 and 93...seems to be a bit of both... not sure ill ever figure it out for sure. Maybe I'll come across an old home movie of me as a kid with it that's dated. Now where's my VCR!

'Tis but a scratch
    It looks just like the 1991 in the archive link above. See page 16 of PDF
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...kes91_Mini.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wxman2000 View Post
    Thinking that may not work with my bike. The serial is P03M2104...
    Many manufacturers list the year the bike was built immediately following the letter.

In this case P is followed by a 0. Every manufacturer is slightly different. But if I was guessing... Most likely means the bike was produced in 1990, and was a 1991 model.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Hadn't looked at the 91 models... but you're right, it does look like an exact match. Only difference I can find is in the specs it lists the hardware being Shimano 200GS, whereas mine has the Altus C20 hardware. I wonder if maybe the US version had different hardware? Or would they have all been the same?

Been so long since I got the bike, so it could have been 91. All I can remember is the bike felt huge when I first got it. Now though, it's a perfect fit and loving this bike.

Think I've got most of the kinks worked out of it now too since it sat for 15 years in storage. Only thing left to do is replace the brakes which are a little rough feeling... probably dried up and hard after all this time. Ended up ordering some Koop Stop MTB black/salmon pads to put on it. Heard great things about them, and just hope I can get them set up right when they arrive.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wxman2000 View Post
    I wonder if maybe the US version had different hardware? Or would they have all been the same?
    Specs can vary in different countries.