1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

mixing brakes and discs from different vendors

I have an Avid Elixir 3 brakes and there's something wrong with them: need rebleeding, pistons damaged and stuck etc.
    On the other side, I have a good offer on Shimano XLS M666, but without the disc.

Can I use the disc (180mm) from the old brakes?
    Can I actually mix parts on brakes from different vendors?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes ,if they set up the same . Most calipers use a spacer to match the size of the rotor. I would check the pad engagement to make sure though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i used whatever rotors came with my elixir 5's with xt brakes with no problem.

Yes and no. For example, Magura rotors are a little bit thicker than most other brands. Makes using Magura rotors difficult on brakes that use thinner rotors.

Shimano rotors have a narrower braking track than Avid's rotors. I used Shimano rotors on some BB7's for awhile. Problem here is that the pads overhang the braking area of the rotor. Eventually, the pads will contact each other without gripping the rotors sufficiently. What happens is that the pads wear more quickly, and you have to periodically remove them and sand them down to avoid that terrible safety problem.

Going the other way around, using Avid rotors on Shimano calipers, is less of an issue. As long as the Shimano pads line up with the braking surface on the rotor completely, they'll be okay. But over time, you will wear a groove in the rotor's braking surface. This can be an issue if your bike has adjustments built into the frame for either the caliper or the wheel like horizontal dropouts, slotted disc caliper mounts, and things like that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use the HS1 rotors off ebay with my SLX calipers. No issues and a replacement rotor if ever needed is cheap.