1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Mix drivetrain

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Mix drivetrain

Can I mix mtb and road drivetrain components on my hybrid? i.e 9 mtb trigger pods, rear road derailleur and road 9 cassette and front LX derailleur, road double ring crankset. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, for the most part. I have a pretty decent mix on my CX bike:
    - DSCF1324

But as long as you stick with compatible cable pull components you should be fine:
    - Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

You might find the FD might have trouble with the small ring on the road crank, depending on what chain line you end up with. On my CX setup, I had to tweak the FD a little to make it work with a 45mm chain line and triple crank by clearancing the FD body a little to allow the mechanism to pull the cage in closer and I also had to sand the seat tube shim on the crank side to mount the FD about 1mm closer to the seat tube. But it all works fine, you could always use a road FD as well, they can handle the tighter road chain lines better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    my general thoughts are road front and mtn rear. you can stick a tiny cassette on the mtn rear with a little adjustment. but since rear will take more abuse than front i prefer stronger there.
    otherwise id just stick with one or the other.