1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Missing/Broken Swingarm pivot.

Hi there,

Im not completely new to biking, i've been biking for as long as i can remember, but I've never gotten into advanced maintenance on bikes. A day or so ago i noticeds a very painful scrapeing at my gears and pulled over to take a look. At the Main swingarm pivot there was a piece of metal that was pushing against my gears.

I've gone to a few bike shops but noone was able to help me. I have a NEXT 26" mountain bike and its less then a year old. I called them and the bike manufacturer's phone number but because i cant give them the name of the broken piece exactly they dont seem to be able to help much.

I've got a couple of photos to help, maybe i can get an answer here please?

Missing/Broken Swingarm pivot.-dsc00282.jpg

Missing/Broken Swingarm pivot.-dsc00281.jpg

Yes, the pivot is missing a part, that's what apparently broke out.

Can anyone help me out?

Thank you,
    KG

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Sorry, you're out of luck. Walmart bikes has zero warranty support....you get what you pay for. NEXT bike should be purchased at a real bike shop....not the replica of a mountain bike that just broke on you.

BTW - your main pivot bolt backed out and stripped, because you did not heed the big orange WARNING label on the bike NOT to use it in the mountains. Chalk this one up as hard experience, bud.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Actually, this bike was only used in city, but yeah right now i cant affort a "real" bike so im stuck with this POS. Thank you for the help though.

My little friends
    If you have the means to measure the inner diameter of the bearing, you can order a sleeve that will fit inside of it. You will need to measure the length needed as well. Use a washer on either side to sandwich the sleeve in place. McMaster Carr is a great source for parts like this. I've fabbed-up several replacment bushing on my KHS for pennies on the dollar as compared to buying OEM parts, (when available).

Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    If you have the means to measure the inner diameter of the bearing, you can order a sleeve that will fit inside of it. You will need to measure the length needed as well. Use a washer on either side to sandwich the sleeve in place. McMaster Carr is a great source for parts like this. I've fabbed-up several replacment bushing on my KHS for pennies on the dollar as compared to buying OEM parts, (when available).
    lol, you assume that bike has bearings in the pivots in the first place. At best, it has plastic bushings, but it might not have even that much. especially now that the main pivot is f'ed.

department store bikes are disposable bikes. dispose of this one and get a new one. It's not even worth the effort to try to fab up a solution. And next time you buy a department store bike, make sure it's the simplest sort of bike you can get. the more do-dads and fancy stickers it has, the more of a POS it is.

Yep, that bike is toast. Get yourself a used, name brand bike, off Craigslist and be much happier it won't fail on you under normal use. You'd be surprised how much bike $200 can buy you...

Probably drunk right now

Missing/Broken Swingarm pivot.

I disagree w everyone except EABiker. You can probably find a bushing or bearing sleeve that will keep you riding. It won't be perfect, but it won't cost you a new bike either.

As far as what the missing part would be called: if customer service can't understand a pivot bushing that connects the chain stay and the seat stay, perhaps asking them to email you an exploded view diagram of the bike and you can tell them which part number you're needing?
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    I disagree w everyone except EABiker. You can probably find a bushing or bearing sleeve that will keep you riding. It won't be perfect, but it won't cost you a new bike either.

As far as what the missing part would be called: if customer service can't understand a pivot bushing that connects the chain stay and the seat stay, perhaps asking them to email you an exploded view diagram of the bike and you can tell them which part number you're needing?
    I MIGHT agree with you, except that the piece of metal hitting hits chainrings is one piece that needs replacing. There's most likely other missing parts (possibly including but not limited to bolts, spacers, and washers). Considering that the part hitting the rings is cocked and looks fairly beat like it's been exposed for some amount of time, I'd hedge my bets that there's some ovalizing of the frame. Any ovalizing of the frame or the swingarm will preclude new round parts from fitting and functioning.

Hence my opinion that it's probably not worth the time and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post

NEXT has customer service???? One of my early bikes was also a crappy, Pacific Full Suspension. I rode it until the rear derailleur hanger broke. Since Wheels Mfg. does not make a replacement for that make/model....the bike was essentially disposable.

The bike that replaced it was a 1994 Giant Innova hybrid. Even though it just collects dust....it's still perfectly operational, to this day. I estimate I put about 9000 miles on it the entire time I owned it. Best $400 I ever spent....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take it apart and have a look at what the problem might be. Could be there is just a bolt and washer threaded into that shaft from each side.
    Look on your local buy and sell site for a parts bike. I see Next bikes on our local site for $30 all the time.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm with Ken and Slash on this. I'd keep after it and you may find a suitable solution to get you back to riding. If you keep with it, you'll have plenty of time to worry about upgrading. It may not be great, but you're out and riding. That's a good thing. Growing up back when I did, I rode all over the place on bikes no better than this one.

And if you get it going again, put a drop of oil on each of your chain links. That sucker looks pretty dry.

As for the sticker, I read somewhere that those are put on those bikes so they can claim they are a 'toy' because the import taxes/tariffs are lower for toys than they are for (real) bicycles that are sold at a bike shop (and not necessarily because they aren't up to some trail riding). Does anyone know for a fact whether or not that is true?

I'm not defending department store, and toy store, bikes. I just would like the truth to be known, whatever it is rather than depending on hearsay.