1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: mini-triathlon

  1. #1
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    695

    mini-triathlon

    my girlfriend wants me to do a mini-triathlon with her...but here's the problem. i am by no means, a lazy slouch...but, i'm also by no means in good shape. which means, i need to get training before august. the 20k bike ride is no prob, but what i'm worried about is the 450m swim and the 5k run. last time i ran a mile was in 2003, and it was a shoddy 10min mile. and that also was the last time i did any hardcore swimming (yay 9th grade PE class). so, here's my questions:
    -how should i train for the running and swimming? i don't have money to consult a trainer or anything
    -what is the appropriate attire for something like this? would an underarmor t-shirt and basketball shorts be good? then, what about the swimming segment?
    -hydration...camelback, or buy another waterbottle cage and carry 2 bottles on my bike?
    -the bike segment is on asphalt, but all i got is the bike in my sig...are there any tuning tips i should know about?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    jgk
    jgk is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36
    I've done a few sprint tri's before, but I'm no expert. I do like to swim though.

    You don't need a trainer for swimming or running.

    Swim -
    Hopefully your local public pool has a schedule for lap swims. You usually pay $3 - $4 for about a 2 hour session. The pool will probably be set up for short track, 25 yards. Without getting too technical and assuming you can't swim a continuous 500 currently, start out by swimming 50 yards at a time, resting 20 seconds between 50's. From there you can shorten your rest periods, swim 100's, swim 200's, then rest. Or combination of all to break up the monotony, ala pyramid (50, 100, 150, 200, 150, 100, 50). Work your way up to swimming a continuous 500.
    Also if it's an open water swim, definitely do a practice in the open water.

    Attire - Get a pair of tri jammer shorts. They have a thin pad for the bike. DeSoto Sports (DSS) is one brand name. I've never seen anyone with BB shorts. They'd probably drag you to the bottom in the swim.

    Bike - Whatever bike you have is fine. I've used my FS mountain bike with knobbies. This is where you'll eat and drink. 1 large bottle should be sufficient for 20k on the road. Bring gel packs. 1 at the start of the bike and then one just before you end. You'll be able to drink at both transitions too. Good luck getting a shirt on when all wet after the swim. Bring a towel, extra bottle of water if you run on sand transitioning from swim to bike, to clean your feet.

    Run - definitely do a practice of bike, then run. And you'll be running in the shorts that you swam and biked in.

    Have fun. For the first one, set your goal to just finish. If you enjoy it, then you'll have a nice PB to beat the next time.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,393
    For running, just get yourself a pair of properly fitted running shoes and go run--slowly building up the distance. If you bike much you already have the cardiovascular fitness.

    For swimming, well that is the hard part in my opinion because technique is real important. 450m is fortunately not that far, but still if you spend any money on training I'd say it should be on swimming. Maybe you can find a friend or another triathlete who is a good swimmer that is willing to help you out.

  4. #4
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    695
    would it make sense to run/swim longer than the distance, to train? with the idea that, getting used to running/swimming the longer distance will make the short distance seem easier?

    edit:
    think i could get a similar short to those desoto's at like MC sports, dick's sporting goods, or the LBS?

  5. #5
    jgk
    jgk is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    would it make sense to run/swim longer than the distance, to train? with the idea that, getting used to running/swimming the longer distance will make the short distance seem easier?

    edit:
    think i could get a similar short to those desoto's at like MC sports, dick's sporting goods, or the LBS?
    For the swim you should train longer. But remember, you don't have to swim a continuous 450m in training to be prepared to swim the 450m at the tri. But your total swim workout should be more. It would be good to swim a continuous 450 at least once for the experience.

    Try this for your first time:
    -Swim 9 50's with 20 seconds rest in between. That's 450.
    -If you feel good, then swim 50, 100, 50, 100, 50, 100. Rest 15 secs after 50's, 30 secs after 100's.
    -If you still feel like swimming. Swim 200, 50, 200. Rest 1 min after 200. Rest 15 sec after 50.

    As you get better, you can decrease the rest time and/or increase effort.

    If you want training, check to see if there is a local Swimming Masters program.

    For the run, running longer distance would help, but probably not that big of a deal since it's 5k. It would be better to get used to running after biking.

    I'm not familiar with Dick's. An LBS that carry Tri bikes might have them.

  6. #6
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk
    For the swim you should train longer. But remember, you don't have to swim a continuous 450m in training to be prepared to swim the 450m at the tri. But your total swim workout should be more. It would be good to swim a continuous 450 at least once for the experience.

    Try this for your first time:
    -Swim 9 50's with 20 seconds rest in between. That's 450.
    -If you feel good, then swim 50, 100, 50, 100, 50, 100. Rest 15 secs after 50's, 30 secs after 100's.
    -If you still feel like swimming. Swim 200, 50, 200. Rest 1 min after 200. Rest 15 sec after 50.

    As you get better, you can decrease the rest time and/or increase effort.

    If you want training, check to see if there is a local Swimming Masters program.

    For the run, running longer distance would help, but probably not that big of a deal since it's 5k. It would be better to get used to running after biking.

    I'm not familiar with Dick's. An LBS that carry Tri bikes might have them.
    dick's is a national chain of sporting goods stores...similar to MC sports or dunham's. i did check around...the LBS was out of tri shorts, but the running store a block away had some...including the desoto ones you recommended.
    the thing that sorta worries me though, is can i get more use out of those shorts after i'm done with the triathlon? like, could i wear them under my cargo shorts when i go mtb'ing?

  7. #7
    jgk
    jgk is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    dick's is a national chain of sporting goods stores...similar to MC sports or dunham's. i did check around...the LBS was out of tri shorts, but the running store a block away had some...including the desoto ones you recommended.
    the thing that sorta worries me though, is can i get more use out of those shorts after i'm done with the triathlon? like, could i wear them under my cargo shorts when i go mtb'ing?
    I've seen the commercials for Dick's, but I've never been to one.
    Sounds like the DSS is expensive and that you don't plan on doing more tri's. I haven't tried them as bike short lining, but I would think they'd work fine or not any worse than lycra bike shorts, just less padding, but probably more comfortable.

  8. #8
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    695
    so...my dad of all people (he's usually REALLY supportive of me doing anything athletic) is horrendously opposed to me buying tri-shorts, due to the high cost (money's tight). are there any sort of alternatives for $20 or so?

  9. #9
    jgk
    jgk is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    so...my dad of all people (he's usually REALLY supportive of me doing anything athletic) is horrendously opposed to me buying tri-shorts, due to the high cost (money's tight). are there any sort of alternatives for $20 or so?
    Sorry, I forgot how expensive they can be. 20 bucks gets you a speedo . Just get some jammers, or go with board shorts if that's what you got. The bike isn't that long so you don't really need the padding. The thing with board shorts is that they make your hips sink. Sinking hips and legs is what kills your energy in swimming. I usually order from swimoutlet.com. Check it out, you might find some deals.

    Don't forget swim goggles. Plus all the tri's around here require a swim cap, so check the rules. My head is shaved bald, and I still have to wear a cap.

    Hopefully you'll end up enjoying the challenge and train for an Xtera. Nothing like finishing a mountain bike ride, throwing on some running shoes, and going for a run. People will think you're crazy.

    Don't arrive just before the start. I usually shoot for an hour before start and find a good spot in the bike transition area. A good spot meaning an available space on a rack, so I don't have to lay my bike on the ground.

    Get your dad to enter the next one.

  10. #10
    Thread Killer
    Reputation: bucksaw87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by jgk
    Sorry, I forgot how expensive they can be. 20 bucks gets you a speedo . Just get some jammers, or go with board shorts if that's what you got. The bike isn't that long so you don't really need the padding. The thing with board shorts is that they make your hips sink. Sinking hips and legs is what kills your energy in swimming. I usually order from swimoutlet.com. Check it out, you might find some deals.

    Don't forget swim goggles. Plus all the tri's around here require a swim cap, so check the rules. My head is shaved bald, and I still have to wear a cap.

    Hopefully you'll end up enjoying the challenge and train for an Xtera. Nothing like finishing a mountain bike ride, throwing on some running shoes, and going for a run. People will think you're crazy.

    Don't arrive just before the start. I usually shoot for an hour before start and find a good spot in the bike transition area. A good spot meaning an available space on a rack, so I don't have to lay my bike on the ground.

    Get your dad to enter the next one.
    i found some louis garneau tri-shorts at one of the LBS's, on sale! i'm probably gonna get those. like was said earlier, i can use 'em for under my cargo shorts on rides...plus, i'm taking a MTB class this fall in college. those shorts can't hurt for the class, eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •