1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Mini or micro pump?

Hey guys, trying to decide on a new pump to bring with me when im riding. How good are the micro pumps? Itd be kind of nice to just throw one in my saddle bag and not have to have another thing hanging from my bike. Should I go that route or are the mini pumps so much better that they are worth the eye sore?

Thanks

It's all about the FSR!
    I carry a mini, and it fits in my Camelbak along the bladder, so I set it and forget it. You could always go with a co2 cartridge setup as well, and forget the pump.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I thought about that. I really wouldnt want the issue of possibly running out of cartridges though

addicted
    So a micro and CO2. I've found that Co2 is way more convenient on the trailside when it's a million degrees outside and the mosquitoes are biting like crazy. They aren't so great for fine tuning pressure, but they can do the bulk of the work very quickly. I run tubeless tires and carry a spare tube and 2 Co2 cartridges and have never had a problem. YMMV

Picture Unrelated
    Having much experience with flatting and micro pumps I can honestly say that the best decision I've ever made is to change to the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV. With a micro pump, it takes ages to pump up a high volume tire and you can't reach a decent operating pressure before you want to stop pumping because your arms hurt. The Lezyne (and Topeak Mountain Morph with a similar design) actually fold out into a tiny floor pump. They move a lot of air and will get you back on the trail more quickly than anything other than a good CO2 inflator. The problem I have with CO2 is when it rains it pours; when I get one flat I usually pick up another one in short order. This means I need to carry a few cartridges with me and honestly it doesn't save enough time with CO2 as it costs the hassle it creates. Add in not seating your inflator on the valve correctly so you might end up blowing off some of your CO2 and I prefer the hand pumps.

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV or Topeak Mountain Morph, but they won't fit in your saddle bag.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV or Topeak Mountain Morph, would these fit into Camelbak MULE? I plan on getting a MULE.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by shuto007 View Post
    Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV or Topeak Mountain Morph, would these fit into Camelbak MULE? I plan on getting a MULE.
    Yes, to my knowledge they both fit.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shuto007 View Post

Yes, and these two are really the only you should be looking at for a mountain bike tire.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    Having much experience with flatting and micro pumps I can honestly say that the best decision I've ever made is to change to the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV. With a micro pump, it takes ages to pump up a high volume tire and you can't reach a decent operating pressure before you want to stop pumping because your arms hurt. The Lezyne (and Topeak Mountain Morph with a similar design) actually fold out into a tiny floor pump. They move a lot of air and will get you back on the trail more quickly than anything other than a good CO2 inflator. The problem I have with CO2 is when it rains it pours; when I get one flat I usually pick up another one in short order. This means I need to carry a few cartridges with me and honestly it doesn't save enough time with CO2 as it costs the hassle it creates. Add in not seating your inflator on the valve correctly so you might end up blowing off some of your CO2 and I prefer the hand pumps.

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV or Topeak Mountain Morph, but they won't fit in your saddle bag.

+1 Don't bother with the tiny pump that's almost useless on the trail. The Lezyne products awesome with bling factor as an added bonus. I have a Topeak Road Morph but if I have to get another one I'd get the Micro floor pump in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to those posting info on pumps. i'm getting 1 soon also. i had a MTB MINI Air Tool from Specialized that was attached to a small bracket along with the water bottle holder. i had this for only about a month now. somewhere over the course of my last ride, the pump handle unlocked itself from the bottom of the shaft and all the guts and handle dropped out along the trail(s) i was riding. i didnt notice a thing until i was getting ready to ride the following day. next pump i get is goin to be riding in the camelbak that pump did work pretty decent to get maybe 40psi in the tires.