1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Miele bike

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11

    Miele bike

    What do you guys think about the Miele tt150 for some basic trail riding? (no jumping/stunts)

    Here's a link http://www.mielebicycles.com/main+en...=46&BikeID=208

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    It's the lowest of low level. Barely a step above Wal-Mart. I would not recommend it for regular trail use. Honestly.

    If you are on a really tight budget, consider buying used.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    well my last wal-mart bike lasted me 5 years and I thought it was awesome. Also I really don't wanna buy used.

  4. #4
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    Are there any other bikes you are considering?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    Anything in the price range of under $400 new with shipping.

  6. #6
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    The Giant Boulder SE goes for about $330 US according to the Giant website. It is a much better bike IMO, and you can put the extra $70 towards helmet and gloves, tools..., if you don't have those already.

    This is just one example. Stop by your local shop, and see what they have good deals on.

    Miele is not a high quality brand.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  7. #7
    re member
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,973
    Anyone know anything about the forks made by 'Suspension'? Are they on par with Fox?

  8. #8
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    Anyone know anything about the forks made by 'Suspension'? Are they on par with Fox?
    ha...ha...no.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    "The bike is stock ... the breaking system is substandard, the suspension forks have too much play, and the rear deralliur is simply horrible. Also, the frame is very flimsy on little hops, I am suprised it has lasted for 4 years.

    I would not recommend this bike."

    That was a review I found online for the Giant boulder se. I think I'll go with the Miele bike so far considering I have heard nothing but good things about them besides from people who have never tried one before.

    EDIT: also with a little googling you would find out the shocks are made by suntour.

  10. #10
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Know nothing about the frame... but the parts hanging off it wouldnt last AT ALL.

    If you want to go non-lbs and spend that sort of amount - look at the Forge Sawback 5xx - from what people say, it seems to be staggering value for money. The parts hanging off it are considerably better, and I dont know alot about the frame but maybe someone else here will fill you in on it.

    Try looking for the HuuuUge thread about the Sawback 5xx - you might find something more trailworthy.

    It also goes for $80 under your budget - allowing you a little spare to get a decent helmet (if you dont have one already) and/or change saddle/grips/pedals etc to get your contact points how you like them.


    Again - if you insist on going the online, non-lbs route - and are happy with the knowledge that customer service wont be as good, then that would seem to be a considerably better option than the Miele.

  11. #11
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenexp
    "The bike is stock ... the breaking system is substandard, the suspension forks have too much play, and the rear deralliur is simply horrible. Also, the frame is very flimsy on little hops, I am suprised it has lasted for 4 years.

    I would not recommend this bike."

    That was a review I found online for the Giant boulder se. I think I'll go with the Miele bike so far considering I have heard nothing but good things about them besides from people who have never tried one before.

    EDIT: also with a little googling you would find out the shocks are made by suntour.
    People will write bad reviews about almost any low end bike. You have to take the reviews on any product with a grain of salt. There will always be haters. For the riding some people do, no sub $500 bike will perform well. Many riders consider Shimano XT parts to be the standard for high performance, and reasonable cost. Compared to that "standard" every component on a $600 bike is going to be "substandard."

    Perhaps the Miele gets better reviews, based on what type of riding the owners use it for. If you use it for dirt roads, bike paths, running to the store, commuting, towing kids around, and smooth trails, the bike will be fine. I don't expect many people buy a Miele with aggressive trail riding in mind.

    I used to work at a bike shop. They stocked and sold Mieles, in an effort to reach out to low budget buyers. But, they stopped ordering them in for the most part. There were too many quality issues. All the wrenches, myself included, disliked working on them.

    I just think you can do much better with the amount of money you are prepared to spend.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    Well it's still the Miele bike considering I can't find anywhere that will ship to Canada. My local bike store has a 5xx but it's priced at $520

  13. #13
    Ride the dream
    Reputation: EnglishT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,381
    Seriously, please do yourself a favor - dont get hung up on that Miele.

    Its got the kind of spec that would be destroyed fast on any kind of proper riding.


    If you can get better value for money - why not do it?
    If you can get a bike that would take rougher trails (if you want to later) - why not do it?

    Generally speaking, I wouldnt advise anyone to buy a bike online (unless they know EXACTLY the size they would need, and know how to do their wrenching themselves - or dont mind paying for it).

    However, I really think if you want the best deal available, you need to look a little further - because that Miele is (no offense) rubbish.

    Even from a very quick look around - theres a few more here for you to look at (and the difference is plain to see). Again there are yay and nay sayers for both brands - Im not american and havent seen either - so you'd be advised to use the search function and see what people think of them:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ne_500HT07.htm
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cliff4700.htm

    Thats just from a quick look on a site I see mentioned here alot - I dont really know other places to look for people in america.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    LAWL at the $150 shipping from bikes direct ON TOP of the duties and tax. I bought the Miele and I can't wait to get it!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cubensis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenexp
    LAWL at the $150 shipping from bikes direct ON TOP of the duties and tax. I bought the Miele and I can't wait to get it!
    I'm not even sure why you asked for advice....seems like you had your mind made up b4 you even asked the question. Good luck with your new bike.
    "Friends Don’t Let Friends Get Friends Haircuts”

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubensis
    I'm not even sure why you asked for advice....seems like you had your mind made up b4 you even asked the question. Good luck with your new bike.
    I kept an open mind but no one here suggested anything besides spending way more money. I waited before (not b4) I bought the bike but again you guys didn't really wow me with anything.

  17. #17
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: f3rg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,712
    I bought my wife (when she was still my g/f) a Gary Fisher Advance for $330 at the LBS. It's an awesome bike with plenty of upgrade potential (which I've already taken plenty of advantage of).

    You may a horrible purchase. Congrats.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I bought my wife (when she was still my g/f) a Gary Fisher Advance for $330 at the LBS. It's an awesome bike with plenty of upgrade potential (which I've already taken plenty of advantage of).

    You may a horrible purchase. Congrats.
    There is no reason to be rude here. Keep your rude comments to yourself. If he enjoys his bike then it was a great purchase. I hope he rides it until the wheels fall off. We all have different opinions on what is a good bike here......If he likes the way the bike feels and he gets enjoyment out of riding it....then who are you to tell him he's wrong?

  19. #19
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: f3rg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,712
    Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow
    There is no reason to be rude here.
    Yeah, you're right; I could have left that last paragraph out. But it's also a bit pointless to ask for advice and then argue with everyone who is trying to help. I just found that irritating.

    Like I said, my wife's bike was relatively cheap. It was also on the heavy side at 30lbs, though it's down to 25lbs after I upgraded a few things over three year's time. This Miele bike has to weigh a ton: steel rear hub; steel crankset; steel stem; steel bar; steel seatpost. With all that steel, rust won't be far behind. And due to the weight (blind guess, 40lbs?), that 28T large cog isn't going to be enough, especially with a 28T small chainring. I stand behind my opinion that it was a very bad purchase, but I'll leave out the sarcastic congratulations.
    Last edited by f3rg; 07-28-2008 at 03:40 AM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    228
    For the money he's talking he could found an LBS that handles Haro. A much better investment.

  21. #21
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    He's in Canada, apparently nobody read that part.

    Miele is an OKAY brand, no more. I've seen way too many broken ones, they are a step above wal-mart quality, but a few steps below LBS quality, they are also a good 5lbs heavier than most low end LBS bikes. I honestly think OP should have gone to an LBS, tell them his expectations and tried the bikes they had in stock.

    400CDN does not get you much bike around here, clearance models and used bikes are the best bet at that price as far as quality goes.

    Miele lacks frame sizes though, bikes are like shoes, you wouldn't want one too small or too big now, would you?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ktse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    He's in Canada, apparently nobody read that part.

    Miele is an OKAY brand, no more. I've seen way too many broken ones, they are a step above wal-mart quality, but a few steps below LBS quality, they are also a good 5lbs heavier than most low end LBS bikes. I honestly think OP should have gone to an LBS, tell them his expectations and tried the bikes they had in stock.

    400CDN does not get you much bike around here, clearance models and used bikes are the best bet at that price as far as quality goes.

    Miele lacks frame sizes though, bikes are like shoes, you wouldn't want one too small or too big now, would you?
    400 dollars in Canada WILL get you a good bike, you just need to know where to look. An Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 from Sport Chek is dirt cheap and comes with components that will rival many bikes in the 500-600 dollar range. If you don't mind the service from Sport Chek, it's a very good buy.

  23. #23
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    400 dollars in Canada WILL get you a good bike, you just need to know where to look. An Iron Horse Warrior 3.0 from Sport Chek is dirt cheap and comes with components that will rival many bikes in the 500-600 dollar range. If you don't mind the service from Sport Chek, it's a very good buy.
    Wow, that is a great deal!

    http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do...&styleId=47514
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •