1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Is this Merlin extra light a good deal???

Merlin Extra Light Mt. BikeI'm looking for my first mountain bike so I'm still having a hard time gauging quality and price. I ride a Ti road bike and absolutely love it. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is also for sale in my area. Anybody out there??
    Merlin XLM (extra light) 2002 - 17 1/2

mtbr member
    They're both pretty terrible values. Those are niche bikes, people will buy them because of what they are, not because they're particularly good bikes or because they represent anything close to a good deal.

If you MUST have a titanium hardtail and are willing to pay a lot of money for it, thats your call. If you want a good mountain bike, id look elsewhere. That kind of money will you get a very good modern/newer full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the input. They do seem pricey but the Ti frames really do last forever. I'm also going to check out this Scott and see was a carbon hardtail feels like.
    Scott Scale 10 Carbon hard-tail MTB

mtbr member
    Titanium is really cool, and like you said, it lasts a lifetime, but that scott is a better bike overall. Carbon is great because it is very light and looks awesome, but it is far less durable than Al, Ti, or steel. For instance that scott scale frame weighs 1059g. My Stumpy aluminum Hardtail frame weighs in at 1430g, and that is very light for an aluminum frame. will you be able to feel a 370g difference on your first mountain bike? probably not.