1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    bov
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New question here. Merida tfs xt or stevens s8? Help me decide! [PICTURES]

Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for my first mountainbike on a budget (~150-250 or ~$200-300 in freedom currency)

Now I've come across these two bikes that caught my eyes and I'm in contact with both sellers:

Merida Tfs xt

-Completely finished with shimano deore xt
    -Rims mavic crossride
    -Brakes maguro hydraulic

Price:250 euros / 340 USD

Stevens s8 elite

-Fully finished with shimano deore LX and a shmano XT rear derailleur
    -Manitou front fork (I think it's manitou R7)
    -Mavic rims
    -Cateye bike computer

Price: 200 euros / 270 USD

From what I read online on Dutch mountainbiking forums, Stevens is a smaller quality german brand and can be considered an a-brand like merida.

Now, I really don't know which one to choose. I don't know the build year of either bike, but that doesn't say everything about a bike anyways.

Sadly I don't have the option to go visit both sellers as both of them live quite far away from me. I would be using the mountainbikes for going through the forest trials and maybe I would take it to germany a few times a year to try downhill on mountains (In holland we only have hills, no mountains )

I hope you guys can help me make a choice!
    Last edited by bov; 07-07-2014 at 06:58 AM.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Get the one that has the right size frame for you.

Those two bikes are suited to different size riders.

bov
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are they? According to the advertisements:
    The merida is 19-21 inch
    The stevens is 20 inch

Went to a bike shop today and tried out a similar merida as the one advertised. They told me 19 inch would be fitting for my length (6 ft with 33 inch leg length). I assume it would be no problem to buy a bike that's 20 inch?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I would say both those bikes look similar in parts spec. The fork looks weak of the first of the two. I would definitely recommend against buying any used bike before riding it.
    2010 D440 Redline Rigid 1x9
    2011 Trek Remedy 8 1x10
    2012 Jamis Dragon 2x10
    2013 Diamondback Sortie 3 1x10

bov
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yup, I will check the bike out before buying. I just don't have the time to go visit both sellers and make a judgment afterwards.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The ad for that Stevens bike says it's a 56cm frame, if the 56cm is the seat tube measurement that would make it a 22" frame.
    It looks a lot bigger then a 20" frame.

The Merida is either a 19" or a 21", it can't be both, looking at the frame I'd say that it would be a 19".

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would continue looking as the first MAY fit you but doesn't appear to have a decent fork. In Germany you need a good quality fork, preferably an air fork. I would continue to save to increase your budget. Sell some things if necessary.

bov
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry cobba, where did you get this information from? The sellers' advertisement clearly states the frameheight is 51 cm (which equals 20 inches) for the stevens s8.

And for the merida, I don't know the exact frame height but it was posted in the category 49 to 53 cm (19.2-20.8 inch).

/Edit: Just a general question. A frameheight of 19 inch is recommended for my body/leg length. Would a frame 1 inch larger than recommended really matter?

Thanks for thinking with me guys!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bov View Post
    Sorry cobba, where did you get this information from? The sellers' advertisement clearly states the frameheight is 51 cm (which equals 20 inches) for the stevens s8.

And for the merida, I don't know the exact frame height but it was posted in the category 49 to 53 cm (19.2-20.8 inch).

/Edit: Just a general question. A frameheight of 19 inch is recommended for my body/leg length. Would a frame 1 inch larger than recommended really matter?
    Actually it was for a different bike but had similar photos, the bike in the ad I looked at looks to be the same size frame as the one you are looking at and it's a 56cm / 22" frame.

The Stevens bike you are looking at is bigger then a 20" frame, the head tube size and the top tube angle is a good indication that it's not 20".

56cm / 22": http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeige...4227-217-2921?

19": http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeige...5056-217-8177?

18": http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeige...0910-217-7544?

The Merida would be a 19".

bov
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Okay, thanks a lot guys, you really have an eye for detail. I guess I'll keep looking for a different bike, considering the stevens is too big and the merida has a bad fork.