1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Men's 2014 Momentum Bike OR Trek 3500 Disc 2013

Gday from Australia

New to the forum and new to Mountain bike riding.
    I used to ride BMX from a teenager to around 22.

Now I am 29 have a wife and kids and frankly have got fat 113kg (250pound) and am looking to get active and back into riding a little.

Based on that I will be riding mostly on the road, beach (on low tide) and perhaps some trails when I start to get fitter and if interested in doing so.

I am very interested in my competitive shooting and fully understand you get what you pay for. And the buy once and cry one philosophy

But in saying that I am purchasing knowing I am will be getting entry level. I know I am not purchasing a Rolls Royce.

So based on that please bare with me.

The two bikes I have been interested in are the :
    Men's 2014 Momentum Bike @ $399 AUD
    Men's 2014 Momentum Bike

and

Trek 3500 Disc 2013 @ $429 AUD
    3500 Disc | Trek | 26" Mountain Bikes for sale in Caboolture | 102147947

From what I can see is they are very similar and both are made in some Asian country of where ever.

If some of you guru's would be so kind to look at the specs and share your opinions of what is the better choice.

Please dont suggest I go buy a 2K bike. Thats shooting money that will not be spent.

I am also open to other suggestions. But please consider that buying in Australia is normally much dearer than the US ect

Thanks in advance and as a mod of a shooting forum myself thanks team for the great site.

JH

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The forks on those bikes won't be suited to someone that's 250 lb and the springs in them can't be upgraded.

Some other bikes you might want to look at if you're on a budget.
    http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/shop/bikes-frames/10
    http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Bikes

Maybe a hybrid type bike would be more suited to the type of riding you want to do with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    The forks on those bikes won't be suited to someone that's 250 lb and the springs in them can't be upgraded.

Some other bikes you might want to look at if you're on a budget.
    Buy Bikes and Frames Online In Australia | Cycling Deal
    Best Road, Mountain, Fitness & City and Custom Fixie Bikes for SALE

Maybe a hybrid type bike would be more suited to the type of riding you want to do with it.
    Thanks for the reply.

I went and looked at the bikes today.

The Fluid was a piece of crap and had a Kmark feel.
    Its claims to be a $600 bike for $400. Looked more like a $400 bike for full price.

The Trek 3500 advertised for $429 was sold and the new stock was $479.
    This bike felt ok.

For $20 more the Trek 3900 became a better option as it offered better components.

The problem is that I am looking at 26"s in a shop full of 29's.
    And the heart wants what the heart wants

There was a 2013 Trek Wahoo on sale for $600.
    This bike feels and looks better.
    The reviews are more positive and I think the extra money may be a investment into my happiness.

I am internet shopping now in the new price range and if I cant find better deal I might layby the Trek Wahoo tomorrow.

I also liked the GT Timberland $550 except it did not have disk brakes...

Thanks again

JH

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    A while back there was a member on here that had a low end Suntour fork, he weighed 250 lb, he was complaining that his fork was too soft for his weight and the adjustments on the fork made no difference.

I suggested that he contact Suntour and see if a firmer spring was available for the fork.

He contacted them, Suntour replied saying that there was no firmer spring that could be put in the fork and also that he'd need to buy a new fork that was more suited to or adjustable for his weight, they also said the fork he had was rated for riders that weigh 180 lb or less.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by John23Savage View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I went and looked at the bikes today.

The Fluid was a piece of crap and had a Kmark feel.
    Its claims to be a $600 bike for $400. Looked more like a $400 bike for full price.

The Trek 3500 advertised for $429 was sold and the new stock was $479.
    This bike felt ok.

For $20 more the Trek 3900 became a better option as it offered better components.

The problem is that I am looking at 26"s in a shop full of 29's.
    And the heart wants what the heart wants

There was a 2013 Trek Wahoo on sale for $600.
    This bike feels and looks better.
    The reviews are more positive and I think the extra money may be a investment into my happiness.

I am internet shopping now in the new price range and if I cant find better deal I might layby the Trek Wahoo tomorrow.

I also liked the GT Timberland $550 except it did not have disk brakes...

Thanks again

JH
    For what you are doing, v-brakes would be fine, especially if you can otherwise get a more suitable bike.