1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

MEC and Ghost brands

What are ya'lls thoughts on these two brands, I have recently gotten a MEC membership and saw these on the website and was wondering if their price tag matches their performance quality.

duh
    what models were you looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ghost EBS Comp.

derp
    Ghost is a reputable German company, that is one of their entry level hardtails. They usually have a better price/components ratio than the most known brands.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

duh
    they seem to compare to other stores as well. Was just looking at a trek bike at another lbs and for similar set up it was a little more then the ghost ebs comp.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

... and if we just ... Ghost bikes are great especially at the price point

I purchased the AMR Lector 7700. This is a full suspension all mountain tour and is full carbon. Components are pretty much full XT. Suspension is the Fox Float 23 on rear FIT on front (120mm travel). The only thing I have changed so far is the hubs which I swapped for Hope Pro 2 Evos.

You can't buy a bike anywhere with these components, suspension, and full carbon for $3,250 anywhere that I could find.

Oh and I love it!

g3h6o3
    Yeah Ghost are reputable and when it was announced that MEC would be selling them I was amazed at their price point. They are very good deals and it's great to get a previously unavailable brand in Canada!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.