1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

maxxis holy rollers on 08 trek 4500

will either the maxxis holy rollers in size 26-2.2 or 26-2.4 work on my 08 trek 4500? also will they last longer on pavement than the stock bontrager(sp?) ones? i do mixed trail and pavement riding and want something that will last.

thanks for any info

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    I would reccomend the 2.4 for the front and the 2.2 for the rear. I use these and when they have around 50 psi in them they make great street/park tires. Although unless your trail is dry clear hardpack, don't expect to get near as much traction out of them.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Kenda Small Block Eights are also a possible choice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You might be pushing the....

envelope with the 2.4" in the front. Maximum recommended tire size for the Dart 3 that comes stock on the 4500 is 2.3", or an inflated tire radius of 340mm. It's not so much that you can't fit a 2.4 in the fork, it's whether or not the fork crown makes contact with the tire when fully compressed. Not a good thing, and can lead to a nasty endo if it happens while your riding, which it usually does.

So proceed with that in mind. If you do go with the 2.4 in front make sure that you double check for clearnce. And keep in mind that every tire is different, the Holy Roller is a lightly and very low knobbed tire so you may well be fine. But do check the tire/crown clearance under full compression. It well may save you some pain.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i went ahead and ordered the 2.2's. thanks for the info guys.