1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    banned
    Mar 2011

Maxi Pads! [WARNING - Graphic Image]

Ok this is not trolling and is a serious thing lol.

My buddy the other day pulls off his backpack to get his multi tool out and what do I see? A baggy with maxi pads in it along with bandage wrap lol I almost died and asked him..Are those...uh......mmmmaaaxxii pads??
    He told me it makes a great HUGE band-aid just in case you rip your skin off. Stick it on the wound, wrap the hell out of it and fly to the emergency room.

Although I thought it was funny, it make a ton of sense.... I mean, you can't get a band-aid with that amount of absorbancy lol. This totally works!

Any of you do this? I might if I go to Tahoe....I may be grateful to have those if I do cut myself wide open.

It's actually a good idea, but still.....funny

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You must have the same buddy that I do. His came in handy when he fell on his face (see photo). p.s. he's fine now, but had a broken nose and required plastic surgery
    Attached Images Attached Images  

banned
    Mar 2011
    Damn, that is a bad one.

I may consider full face helmets soon.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Never thought of using them as big bandaids but when I was a wildland firefighter back in the day we used them in our hardhats. We stuck them to the band on the inside of the hardhat to absorb the sweat so it wouldn't run down your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

banned
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Never thought of using them as big bandaids but when I was a wildland firefighter back in the day we used them in our hardhats. We stuck them to the band on the inside of the hardhat to absorb the sweat so it wouldn't run down your face.
    Picturing a bunch of burly firefighters with maxi pads on their heads is extremely funny

So whay brand do I get? Stayfree, Kotex?

Mountain biking is greatness

Wrench
    Boxing tape makes a great quick-brace for any sprain.

ummmm.. what!?
    There's a million home remedies with the simplest things. Tampons. Bloody noses and bullet wounds. Saran wrap with fix sucking chest wounds. Sticks a tape work well to brace a sprain or break. Trail first aid is really quite simple.. just gotta think outside the box a bit and make things work. Just stop and ask yourself.. WWMD?
    Its a JEEP thing. I drive one and still don't understand..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I thought those things were just for mopping up blue liquid. Good to know they have another use.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post

same here...just had to remember not to get the ones with wings...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When in the Army we carried maxi pads and tampons in our aid kits all the time until they developed specific bandages for us, that was done in the last 5 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganymede_Illusion View Post
    My buddy the other day pulls off his backpack to get his multi tool out and what do I see? A baggy with maxi pads in it along with bandage wrap lol I almost died and asked him..Are those...uh......mmmmaaaxxii pads??
    He told me it makes a great HUGE band-aid just in case you rip your skin off. Stick it on the wound, wrap the hell out of it and fly to the emergency room.
    He is right. Some of the trauma dressings that we carry on the ambulance are similar in design to, and possibly made of the some of the same material as, a maxi pad. Here's a link:

Kendall Abdominal Pads | Emergency Medical Products

And the above trauma dressings are useful in covering large areas of gravel-rash. I can personally attest to that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Just be sure you dont buy the deodorant ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i think im gonna have to get a full face helmet now that i seen that pic dammmm

mtbr member
    I grabed one of my wife's pads and had to tell her about it. The guy at the LBS wondered why I needed a big saddle bag ;-P

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tampons can be used for nose bleeds too. That's an old wrestler's trick.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobuu View Post
    Tampons can be used for nose bleeds too. That's an old wrestler's trick.
    LOL! I just got a mental image of that and laughed uncontrollably. thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Learn something new everyday. I just have regular bandaids in my kit. Now i need to hunt down some pads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Double post

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    You must have the same buddy that I do. His came in handy when he fell on his face (see photo). p.s. he's fine now, but had a broken nose and required plastic surgery
    He's smiling, what else did he have in his pack?
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek View Post
    He's smiling, what else did he have in his pack?
    Lol, you make a good point - pain relief comes in many forms

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I carry em in my active shooter bag at work, they are great trauma type wound dressings. just get the thickest "heavy flow" ones that you can buy. U can also get Isreali .mil bandages that are about the best non-quick clot type trauma gauze.

J-

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Seeing that image does scare me into getting a full helmet (may be handy for winter too) or at least some eye protection.

I've had two spills so far in the past two weeks...every time I went down though I do recall seeing my hands in front of my face (palms facing out) getting ready to absorb impact and protect..and it also felt like a pretty nice roll though my foot keeps getting caught in the frame and jamming my lower shin into it. At least I guess i have a good automatic response lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Dang!!!! That looks ruff!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maxi pads are standard issue in my Wilderness First Responder kit. The sticky back is optimal for holding on to your ace wrap.