1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Marzocchi TST2 shock help Leaking oil

Total newbie here. I just bought an XTC 2 and it came with a Marz 44 TST2 shock. After my first ride I noticed 4 very distinct lines on the top part of the shock. The dirt from the trail was what made me notice it. Upon further investigation when I wiped it off it was an oily substance.

I can only figure it came from inside the shock. I'm thinking both seals are leaking? It's doing it on both sides where the shock has traveled. Is this normal or should I take it bck to the LBS?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I assume this is a new bike? I wouldn't worry about it, personally. I'll admit my suspension knowledge is 10 years or so out of date, but I always get a little bit of oil residue on the sliders after a rebuild. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse (like drips), definitely take it in.

And if course, if it worries you, just drop by the LBS and ask them to take a look at it to see if it's normal.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yes it's a brand new bike. I saw a post here saying it might be just the oil on it from assembly. I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues will take it in. My Wifes brand new Rockshox is doing the same thing so I think it probably has to do with it being new.

Thanks for your help.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Oil on the stanchions is good, it means the inside parts are being lubricated. (just enough to keep the stanchion lubed, if it's blowing/pouring out, that's bad)

When the oil ceases to exist, problems begin to arise.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!