mtbr member
    Feb 2014

On the market for a new bike!

Hi All,

I have been playing around on my old Apollo Raceline Enduro for a few years now however I have just sold it and I am on the market for a new setup. We have some nice technical trails and open trails I would like to really get into. Previously I have taken it pretty easy on them.

I am looking for a top quality frame that will last with decent components, that if needed I can upgrade over time. From what I have seen during my research I am aiming for the top of the Alloy market and there is no use going carbon for the prices I am looking at.

From what I have read and spoken to the shops about, I think I would prefer the RocShox Reba RL over the Fox however I am open to anything. I do specifically want an easy to maintain well ridden shock and I loved the remote lock out on my past bike. Personally I think the CTD on the fox is a bit of a gimmick if you don't have remote lockout, as it means you can't change it easily according to your situation.

I have also noted that I would prefer to go more towards Shimano gear, I am not sure why, I just seem to have more confidence in them. I believe that aiming for a mixture of SLX/XT components will satisfy my needs.

Below I have a list of 6 bikes I have lined up. I have seen the Trek and Lapierre's in person and they look pretty good, however I am yet to see the Specialized. I prefer the forks and paint job on the Crave Expert and the Superfly 7 however I believe the components on the Crave Pro and Superfly 8 standout much better to me.

The Scott Scale seems to be the best value all round in my eyes, however I am not entirely sure about their frame quality. As I have mentioned above, I would rather get a good quality frame as a foundation and build from there.

From my research, if I could get the Superfly 7 frame and forks with the Superfly 8 components I would be fairly set.

However today I saw the Lapierre and I am very impressed. First thing I would do is swap out the brakes for SLX/XT and as you do, the tyres however everything else seemed pretty good.

I am looking at spending as close to 2,000AUD as I can, however I can go over if it is worth the extra bucks.

Below are the six I have picked out so far.

Link to the image if it is too small -> http://oi57.tinypic.com/242he2b.jpg

I am looking for any positives or negatives for any of them, if something is better than the other. Any past experiences any of the bikes, anything you think would annoy you or you would love.

I am also happy for you to tell me all the bikes above are rubbish and suggest another one

For me, this is a fair amount of $$ on a 'second' bike so I want to make sure I get something worth my while

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get out riding again

Regards,
    Ryan
    Last edited by corny-ratbag; 02-25-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: changing table to image

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do a Trek Demo Day and compare the SF 9.6. It is worth the extra.
    The Reba RL benefits from a damper upgrade to the SID Motion Control DNA damper.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Demo, demo, demo.

Sounds like you already have some preferences you can use to shorten that list. BTW, on my browser, it appears as being full of html tags. So I didn't read it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi eb1888 - unfortunately I do not know of any Trek Demo days in my area however I will look into it to see if they do take them out for a spin

AndrwSwitch - Thanks for the heads up about the table, it looked ok on my browser so I didn't think twice about it. I have now changed it to an image and included a link as it seems a bit small.

I plan on taking them for a quick demo at the shop however I am looking for real world feedback on them and if there is anything I should look out for.

Thank you both for your reply

mtbr member
    Hi, I have ridden the 2013 Superfly al 1. Real fun ride. Almost bought it bu ended up with a lefty instead. Superfly was real nimble and quick. I really enjoyed it. But liked the f29 1 better!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    so you are looking to go hard tail it looks like?

do you want to build a bike or do you want to buy a complete? might be hard to fit your wish list in a complete and building can be a lot of fun.

what about the transition trans am 27.5 or 29
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/2014/Bikes_TransAM275.cfm?Token={ts_2014-02-11_08:48:36}-d614de6769888eb9-4CE0878E-AAB4-1F95-A5AAF5C72135F9EC

or
    https://www.transitionbikes.com/2014/Bikes_TransAM29.cfm?Token={ts_2014-02-11_08:48:36}-d614de6769888eb9-4CE0878E-AAB4-1F95-A5AAF5C72135F9EC

these are bikes you can really get rowdy on and attack the trail....

as for forks MRP's new stuff is super cool and affordable
    MRP Stage Fork and Raze 2CR Shock - Eurobike 2013 - Pinkbike

another thing to consider that I don't see on your list of stuff is Geometry... that will make a big play in how your bike performs on the trail, wheel base, chain stay length, head tube angle.... good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am indeed looking for a hard tail as I think FS will probably be excessive for my needs.

I have been looking at the Cannondales however the lefty forks really do my head in! What is it that you like about the bike over the Treks? I will be going to a store with Cannondale bikes so it will be worth having a look

I would love to build a bike myself, however I have no idea where to start and which parts are suited to each scenario so I feel I would be much better off purchasing a built bike than fighting with and making mistakes in building from scratch.

I am taking tomorrow off to go to the bike shops and take as many as I can for a spin to work out the geo side. I guess I was hoping to reduce the list before going to the shops .... it looks like it has now grown! hahaha. Thanks all for your help

Fat-tired Roadie
    Demo some full suspension bikes on trails. They're really only over kill on the road. Short-travel FS can be very efficient and very smooth. My 'A' bike is a 100 mm FS. Not because of jumps and drops but because it's smoother and raises my "speed limit."

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I took what I could for a ride today (ProRace 329, Crave pro and Superfly 8) and spoke to the shop about the Scott and I am down to the Superfly 8 or the Crave Pro. On paper the Superfly 8 seems to beat it with specs and it is only $100 more.

Talking to everyone at the shops, they all agreed that an aluminium hard tail is the way to go for me. At this point I think I am going to go the Trek as it has a good reputation and the bike is well priced and spec'ed.

eb1888 - I asked about a demo day/bike and they said they only do the FS for demos

AndrewSwitch - I will see what I can tee up. I am not sure how often they do demo days on the tracks.
    Last edited by corny-ratbag; 02-27-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    In the US, all the big brands and some of the little ones run demo tours all summer. They sometimes work with a local shop, though not always. You'd find out about them from the brand's web site.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi Gays,

pls, can you also response me on this tread :
    MTB fork - rare / low cost maintenance or very long maintenance period.
    MTB fork - rare / low cost maintenance or very long maintenance period.
    thanks

sorry for spam :-(

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am still thinking about what I want to get so I went to a race day today to check out what people were riding. One bike that caught my eye was the KTM MyRoon 29er. Reading reviews, the new 2014 model is great and KTM is a leader in MTB in Austria. I am going to see if I can check it out tomorrow at a shop up the coast and see what it is like Myroon 29er ? KTM Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I own a Scott Scale 940 and it's awesome! I would recommend one to anyone looking to get a good quality hardtail! Lots of people on the trail check it out! I got mine as a leftover 2013 for $1600! I've done a bunch of upgrades and it just keeps getting better! Next week I'm gonna go 1x10! My cousin just bought the Scale 740 and like it just as much as I like mine! Can't go wrong with a Scott Scale!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I prefer the geo of a Scott Scale or Trek SF 9.6 over the Myroon, especially the head tube angle.
    I demoed a SF 9.8 and a Remedy and Fuel Ex 9.8 last fall over a couple of days on my home trails. The 9.6 has the same frame and was my choice for this season. The damping uses engineering help from their road bike group and is exceptional. I'm 5'10.75"/32" inseam and am getting an 18.5.
    It also has more rear tire chainstay clearance than a Scott Scale. Not many will be out there yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Unfortunately the 9.6 was out of my price range so the best I could get in Trek was the superfly 8 which is a great bike, however I hated the colour of it

So I finally settled on a bike and purchased a KTM MyRoon. The 2014 models are about 2 weeks away. With the 2013 model having better specs with a lower price tag it was a no brainer to me which one to get. I ended up having to do a 8 hour round trip to get the last 19" frame I could find however it was well worth it

The bike is a 29er carbon fiber frame with all slx/xt gear and Rock Shox Reba front suspension. I was amazed to find 180mm rotors front and back on it :| I have already had so much fun on it on the bike paths and can't wait to hit the trails

mtbr member
    Hey Ratbag, Nice looking ride! Congrats!!!
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah! sweet ride! I looked at an add on Craigslist for someone selling KTMs when I was looking for a bike! I ended up with a Scott but I really liked the KTMs also!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks I took it for a spin on the local bike tracks over a couple of days to get use to it and as unfortunately I can not find any clipless shoes in my size I swapped the pedals out for some Shimano MX80 Saint pedals.

Yesterday we took it to one of the local trails ..... I only went over the handle bars once hahaha. After trying to concur this trail twice my friend turned around and told me it was the hardest of the lot ..... great way to start hahaha. I am looking at hitting some easier tracks to get my confidence up

A quick pic after the afternoon ride

mtbr member
    I am finding it real hard to get used to my new bike and am ready to switch to a set of flat pedals also. I keep trying to break bones and bike parts!LOL Have been limping for 4 days! Get used to the bike first before clipless! I will say, for climbing you can't beat em.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6