1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Manufacture date? Is this correct?

So I had my first wreck today, and when I got home I looked my bike over to make sure everything was ok. Well at one point I had the bike upside down peddling and going through the gears, when I noticed the Serial number and Manufacture date sticker..

So here is where I'm concerned. The bike was sold to me as a 2014 Hardrock Disc 29'er. Yet the stickers manufacture date said it was made on 12/24/2012 2012 manufacture date for a 2014 model? I just want to make sure that this is correct and that I didn't get ripped off.

Thanks in advance
    ~Tyler

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Are 2014 even in the stores yet? Your situation sound very suspect to me. How long go did you buy it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2014 model? sounds like the LBS might have done a bunch of peddling too..

does the color scheme look like any of these models? Specialized Bicycle Components

or maybe any of these: Specialized Bicycle Components
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This is the bike that I have
    Specialized Bicycle Components

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Well, a couple of things here... It was built late '12, which means it would not be a MY '12.. So either you have a '13 model, or it was put into the early production to be released for an early '14 model and was stocked away.

You seriously can't believe that they build '13 bikes in '13... They anticipate all of this and when bikes are built from tubes, it takes time to complete orders. They do not weld bikes and ship on a one by one basis. They are stockpiled and await bulk container shipping from overseas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skene View Post
    Well, a couple of things here... It was built late '12, which means it would not be a MY '12.. So either you have a '13 model, or it was put into the early production to be released for an early '14 model and was stocked away.

You seriously can't believe that they build '13 bikes in '13... They anticipate all of this and when bikes are built from tubes, it takes time to complete orders. They do not weld bikes and ship on a one by one basis. They are stockpiled and await bulk container shipping from overseas.
    I looked at it as how they release cars.. But the manufacture date seemed a bit early.

Also here is a link to a picture I took today. you can see the bike here
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...43080518_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Last edited by SandSpur; 09-09-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    '13 model... I don't think Spec'd updated their website for the '14 models yet. If you have any doubts, I am sure you can contact Spec'd and they will be able to tell you straight from the horse's mouth.

**edit**

Here is also the '13 MY Hardrock 29 disc info..

Specialized Bicycle Components

Redcoat
    You do have a 2013:Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book

which matches yours but its in black.
    on your link: you can go between the colours Specialized Bicycle Components

Same bike you defo have a 2013.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, Kind of mad that the lbs told me that it was a 2014, but as long as I didn't over pay for what I have, I guess I can get over it.

Does $570.00 sound right for a 2013 hardrock disc 29er?

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid_Mo_Biker View Post
    Ok, Kind of mad that the lbs told me that it was a 2014, but as long as I didn't over pay for what I have, I guess I can get over it.

Does $570.00 sound right for a 2013 hardrock disc 29er?
    the link I just posted you states 580 msrp...

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Don't be mad and never assume..

The price is just about right... and I will say that since there is archived '13 MY info on Spec's website... Yours may just be a '14.

Only your bike shop and Spec would know the truth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Don't be mad? If I was sold something, and told it was something, I expect it to be what they tell me it is.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    The bikes on Specialized's website are 2014 models. Looks exactly like the 2014 Hardrock 29 to me since the 2013 does not list a red frame color.

Was this date of manufacture on the frame itself, or on one of the components?

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    Don't be mad? If I was sold something, and told it was something, I expect it to be what they tell me it is.
    Here is where you are assuming... What does the LBS have to gain by saying that a '13 is really a '14... Lose your trust by telling a small lie about a different color scheme...? Did you register your bike on Spec'd website...? Does it tell you any info on your bike?

Before you start throwing a fit over a "Model Year", do necessary steps to find out the correct information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If a car dealer was selling you a 2014 vehicle, and you got home to find out it was a 2013 model, you are telling me you wouldn't be mad? Being new to biking, I assume that a newer model would have some different components than a previous year. Are you telling me the bike has been the same over the years, and all they did was change the paint scheme?

And @ Berkley, Yes, the sticker that I saw was on the bottom of the frame

Big Gulps, Alright!
    It is completely possible that your 2014 was manufactured at the end of 2012. Very frequently, big manufacturers like Specialized run out of stock as early as June. When that is the case, they typically start shipping the next model year to dealers as soon as it becomes available. Some model year 2014 bikes have been available for months now. For models that remain relatively unchanged year to year (like the Hardrock) it's reasonable to produce them in advance.

Agreed that you should know what you're buying. Which it appears you did.

EDIT: To answer your question - yes, some bikes do go year to year with minimal changes. It also appears that the price remained consistent from '13 to '14 too.

mtbr member

Re: Manufacture date? Is this correct?

Here's precise example. Trek sport 29er ht. Wahoo, Marlin, mamba, I know 2012 and 2013 where fitted the EXACT SAME just different paint colors/designs, believe 2011 - 2013 models are all fitted the same. I own a 12 Marlin, one cause it was $50 cheaper and I liked the paint better, but was sitting next to (and I looked at website) '13 Marlin, everything except paint/stickers was 100% identical.

And that's not the only bike I noticed this on but being these I had in front of me, my hands on them, I know the companies do this plenty till customers and manufacturing costs demand otherwise.

Example, trek combined race and sport 29er the since frame was exact same throughout to make x-caliber series. Like 9 variables starting at what Wahoo was to what the x-caliber was for 2013. But do to customer complaints regarding the suntour mechanical lockout forks being crap but the hydraulic version being useable, all lower versions that have suntour forks with lockout are now hydraulic versions.

Only on the higher end bikes do u see more changes more often, being fitted with latest and greatest every year or 2. Lower levels they stick with tried and true or change only if needed.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    The bikes on Specialized's website are 2014 models. Looks exactly like the 2014 Hardrock 29 to me since the 2013 does not list a red frame color.

Was this date of manufacture on the frame itself, or on one of the components?
    actually youre right! When I looked for 2012 in the archive I also missed 2013 was also listed in the archive. So yea, all bikes on specialized main site are there 2014 models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Manufacture date? Is this correct?

I looked at it as how they release cars.. But the manufacture date seemed a bit early.

Also here is a link to a picture I took today. you can see the bike here
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...43080518_o.jpg
    That is the 2014 color scheme. If you check the archive, you won't find a Hardrock Disc 29 for 2012 and 2013 with that color scheme.
    Hope this helps.
    What works for me may not work for you. What's best for you depends on many factors. We are different from each other.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, thank you all very much. (To the people that have been helpful)