1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Manitou Tower Pro & a 2012 Trek Marlin

I got a Marlin a few months back and want to get a new set of forks. I am have settled on the Manitou Tower Pro but was wondering if it would work with my current stock rim? How much work would it take if it isn't just a fork swap? Thanks for any help you can give me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It will if you get 9mm dropout ends on the fork. The other option is 15mm thru for a stiffer front and more desirable for future builds. You would need to get a new front wheel for that unless there are different end caps available for your hub from Trek. Call tech support and see.
    If no caps are out there a new lighter wheel like an ArchEx would be a good upgrade for more weight off the front.