1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Manitou R7 Pro vs. Rock Shox Recon Silver TK??

I'm trying to decide between the Manitou R7 Pro and the Rock Shox Recon Silver TK. This will be used on a hard tail KHS frame casual trail riding, small jumps, etc.

I'm leaning towards the slightly more expensive Manitou for 2 reasons:
    1) Manitou is lighter (1620g compared to 2069g)
    2) I've been using a Manitou SX Ti for many years and it has been reliable until recently

Anyone have any personal experience with either of these forks?

mtbr member
    I agree with your thoughts, the Recon is a very basic fork, port orifice for rebound, steel stanchions and a basic lockout, but no compression adjust (you can swap that out for about $70 USD). The R7, assuming model year 2010 or newer has shim based rebound and compression. However, the R7 although lighter is a bit more "noodlely" and does have some plastic parts inside. It has not been an issue for me, but wanted to give you as much info as I have. My son uses it now (mine is an 08 upgraded to ABS + like the YR 10-13) since all of my bikes are 5" in travel or better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the insight. How would either of these compare to the old Manitou SX Ti that I'm used to? More "noodlely"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Even the R7 will be stiffer than your old SX Ti. Between the R7 and Recon I'd take the R7, no question, no doubt. The R7 has a far better damper so it soaks up hits and sticks to the ground a lot better without blowing through its travel. Friend of mine has one his XC bike and it's a great fork for its intended use, both of us think it's better than the Fox fork it replaced.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I ended up ordering the Recon Silver and I hope it arrives tomorrow. Turns out it was quite a bit cheaper than the R7 and easier to find with the V brake posts. From what I can gather, it should still be a decent improvement over my current SX Ti. Hopefully the extra weight of the recon won't be too noticeable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'd cancel the order, wait for a deal in the deals subforum here. I've seen reba/fox level 26er for $325ish. Replace the front wheel and front brake with disc setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    I'd cancel the order, wait for a deal in the deals subforum here. I've seen reba/fox level 26er for $325ish. Replace the front wheel and front brake with disc setup.
    Thanks for the advice, but I need something yesterday. I'm also on a tight budget so replacing front brake is not an option, unfortunately.

The recon can be had for only $239 at my LBS.