1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Man my butt hurts

Hey all, as the title says. My butt is really hurting since I have started riding.. Is it my seat, my posture, my butt not being used to it, or a combination of the 3?

And if it's just my butt needing to get used to riding, how long will it take for me to get used to it, to where there isn't pain any more?

mtbr member
    saddle position: height, fore/aft, angle, etc.
    saddle choice: you might need to try a few.
    get used it: it takes a little time.

(you are wearing padded cycling shorts, right? duh.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Re: Man my butt hurts

Does it hurt when you pee?

When I first started riding without padded shorts my scrotum area hurt a tad and it hurt to pee te day after. I got padded shorts and bamn, problem solved.

Now it its you but but that's hurting, that's normal if your just starting off, specially if your riding with clipless, your giving that booty a good work out :P

Posture usually translates to the lower back discomfort, but it doesn't hurt to play with the seat height to get it to fit your needs.

Then agian this is just my first post soo, don't take me to seriously

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It doesn't hurt to pee, just after I get done riding my butt is sore.. And no, I'm not wearing padded shorts lol. didn't know there was such a thing

mtbr member
    Without padded shorts, a typical cycling seat is nothing more than a draconian torture device. That said, there is most definitely a break in period of about 2 weeks in which all the mating parts get used to each other. Let's face it...you've never remained seated (with all the other movement going on) on such minimal support for any lengthy period before, right? Gonna take a little time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I started biking a month ago and boy was I sore after a ride. In the beginning it took a couple of days before I recovered. Mostly I would not feel it much unless I would get onto the bike again. Now that I have been riding 25-30km 3 times a week, I feel it a lot less. There is still a bit of tenderness, but I figured out the denim jeans I am usually biking to and from work in actually have the pocket seams right where I sit on the saddle. I biked 35-40km last weekend wearing trousers without back pockets, and felt hardly anything when riding the day after.

I have been suffering from lower back pain on and off for a long time, luckily not having issues the last 3-4 years. When biking I noticed that I was bending in the lower back rather than straightening up. Changing that helped generate more power, and it also rotated my hips so I rested better on my seat bones. That helped too. Different people have different distances between the seat bones. If you don't feel significantly less pain after riding regularly for a month or so, then I would suggest that your seat may be too narrow (or wide). Some bike shops have an "ass-o-meter" that measures the distance between your seat bones, they can then recommend a saddle that fits.

I do not use padded shorts, but I am considering buying a pair to try out, but for now I am just riding in street clothes. I can literally feel my seat muscles growing as I ride, I suspect that has a lot to do with it. Crack on, see howe it goes!

Michael

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid_Mo_Biker View Post
    It doesn't hurt to pee, just after I get done riding my butt is sore.. And no, I'm not wearing padded shorts lol. didn't know there was such a thing
    Get some, and do not wear underwear under them. Store brands like Performance are usually a good value. Cheapest, and least conspicuous version are liner shorts, like from Nashbar ($15) worn under some regular shorts, but if you can get past the false modesty thing, proper lycra shorts are the best.

But then, you do get used to it and can ride without padded shorts..

more carbon=more awesome
    As already noted, playing with the seat position can make big difference. I have mine fairly well forward on the rails so I don't end up sitting on the narrow bit up front, and I've found that having it nose up by even a couple of degrees starts to really hurt. Start with it absolutely level and work from there. And of course, different seats work better for different folks.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Get some, and do not wear underwear under them. Store brands like Performance are usually a good value. Cheapest, and least conspicuous version are liner shorts, like from Nashbar ($15) worn under some regular shorts, but if you can get past the false modesty thing, proper lycra shorts are the best.

But then, you do get used to it and can ride without padded shorts..

Thanks for the replies guys, and it is definitely getting better every day.
    also, I found these Amazon.com: Men's ATD Cargo Short Baggy Padded Mountain Bike Cycling Shorts: Clothing

local trails rider
    How much riding have you done?
    Where exactly does it hurt?
    How does it hurt? (skin irritation, pressure over "sit bones", numbness, ...)

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    How much riding have you done?
    Where exactly does it hurt?
    How does it hurt? (skin irritation, pressure over "sit bones", numbness, ...)
    I just started riding a week ago. And it's none of the above.. Just tender..
    But like I said, It's getting better every day.

(edit) and don't laugh. But I am only riding about 5 miles a day.. I'm over weight and out of shape.. Trying to work my way up to more riding though, Cause I love it!

local trails rider
    A week with short rides is not all that much - so, for the time being, I'd put it under "not being used to riding".

Keeping it short is probably good, until you get used to being on a bike.

If you start noticing some specific ways that it hurts, small adjustments may help. Sometimes people really do need a different seat because the stock one is too wide/too narrow/wrong shape/too soft/too hard/ (insert some more saddle characteristics).

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    A week with short rides is not all that much - so, for the time being, I'd put it under "not being used to riding".

Keeping it short is probably good, until you get used to being on a bike.

If you start noticing some specific ways that it hurts, small adjustments may help. Sometimes people really do need a different seat because the stock one is too wide/too narrow/wrong shape/too soft/too hard/ (insert some more saddle characteristics).
    Sounds good, and thank you all for all your help.

One more thing and it's off topic. But do you all know anything good for joint/knee pain? I had my right leg rebuilt years ago (fell from a third story balcony), and it hurts pretty bad after riding

local trails rider
    For knees, it is best to stay in a gear that is easy enough to turn. People talk about 80 rpm (or some other figure from 60 to 100) but it is hard to stick to some rpm number if the trail has any bumps. Learn to move your feet smoothly in circles, instead of stomping up and down.

Seat height has an effect on knee health too. Too low makes the leverages pretty hard on you and too high lets your knees go too straight which can really mess you up.

My quick and dirty seat height adjustment goes like this:
    - pedal with the HEELS on pedals
    - raise the seat until you can barely do it without rocking the hips
    - Now, when you have the ball of the foot on the pedal, there is still a little bend left in the knee at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
    Many prefer to have the seat a little lower than that for riding bumpy trails

I mainly ride a singlespped bike, so I always know what gear I'm in When the cranks get a little hard to turn, I get out of the saddle. That changes the leverages on the knees, in addition to giving more power, and doesn't seem to bother my knees even though there must be pretty considerable forces between my heavy body and my pedals.

mtbr member
    I would emphasize having a good mtb saddle that fits you and then playing with orientation. I like the nose up just a wee bit. It's worth time and money.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

Redcoat
    after a few weeks you get used to it. padded shorts really help like the above say.

mtbr member
    From my own issues I recommend getting shorts with removeable liners. The ones that are sewn into the shorts tend not to stay in place which can cause chafing

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First 2 rides I ever took, I wore regular old shorts.... not a wonderful experience at all. Then my friends all talked me into getting a pair of cycling shorts.... I will never ride without them anymore!!

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    cycling shorts... definitely helps... at the minimum... wear a liner under any shorts of your choosing. But riding time to get used to the seat will be just as important. just keep in mind that you are sitting on something and moving around in an area that you are not used to (get your mind out of the gutter). So once you get used to riding and develop basically a callous on your arse... the better you will be.

mtbr member
    If the two bones in your butt that your sit on ( ischial tuberosities, aka "sit bones") are what's hurting, then good. They are what should be carrying your weight. The pain will probably go away as you get used to it, or a change of saddle might help too.

If the pain is in the soft tissues of your groin, then your saddle is badly set up or more likely just too narrow. The back end of the saddle should be wide enough to catch your sit bones, not press up in between them.

Here's a quick starter guide to getting your saddle set up:

Adjust the height so that with your heel on the pedal and the pedal at 6 o'clock, your leg is straight. When you move the ball of your foot to the pedal it will be slightly bent. This position is for max power. Adjust to suit. For stability and a lower center of gravity on rough terrain and steep downhills, it is common practice to lower the saddle.

Start with the saddle level. Again adjust to suit.

Fore/aft adjustment will depend on how stretched out you wish to be. That aspect of cockpit set up can also involve the handlebars and stem.
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 08-23-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

2014 Trek Fuel EX 7
    Stand on the pedals when it starts to hurt. Aside from temporarily relieving the pain, you'll also build serious leg strength really quick.
    2014 Trek Fuel EX 7 29er
    2013 Trek Mamba 29er
    2013 Specialized Crosstrail 29er (hybrid)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey all, I stopped by my local cycling shop and bought some apparel. AND OMG do padded shorts make a huge difference! Other than the fact that I tried to wear them at first with boxer briefs ( that didn't work very well), And the fact that it looks like I have a massive maxipad in my shorts lol. Thanks for recommending padded shorts!

I also purchased a pair of padded gloves to help with the blisters I was getting, and those made a huge difference as well!

Thanks for all of your guys feedback and I'm sure I will be back with more noob stuff in the future :-)

Happy Biking ~ Tyler

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OP i suggest spending some money on a good pair. I bout a pair of fox baggy mountain bike shorts with the removable liner. They were about 100 brand new, but they work wonderfully. The also do not chafe like many of the cheaper brands do. Consider the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Your butt is defective. If you're not too old, you can return it under warranty.
    I loled

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I use the Chow Pat knee braces/supports. Have two bad knees and they work well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can say that at the start my but and my knees hurt pretty much all the time (I was riding 10 miles a day 6 days a week), for the but pain, I bought a padded seat. And it has helped a lot. For the knees I bought Glucosamine with Chondroitin, I took that for about two month, then I stopped. My knees are now in good enough shape that they don't hurt anymore (even after doubling my riding.) I also put my seat higher so my legs could straighten out a bit more. They are still bent, but not as bent... (I can still touch the ground while in my seat. Tippy toes but I can touch.)

I'm also a big guy... But ya, the but does take getting used to. It took me like 3 weeks before it was fine...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast