1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Making a Bike Purchase For The Wife

I recently acquired my first MTB that is not Walmart/Consumer quality, and ended up with the Specialized HardRock SE 29, which I am quite happy with so far. Needless to say I think my home has been bitten by the biking bug, and now my wife would like a little bit better quality bike. I know that I'm being kind of tight on my budget, but frankly I don't have a ton of money to drop, especially after I already got a new bike for myself. I'm wanting to stay under the $400 mark if at all possible, and like I said I know that's a stretch. I've tried to do some craigslist searching, but unfortunately the area I live in doesn't seem to have an abundance of non-mongoose or huffy options. So I tried to do something searching for peoples opinions of a more budget mtb that is at least better quality than I'd be getting at Walmart. I found the Vilano Blackjack 29er, which I can get for $329 on amazon. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this bike, or other options that would compare.

As far as terrain, I see us doing a combination of street/commuting as well as some average hiking trails along the North Umpqua. Nothing too hardcore for now, we'll worry about upgrading down the line haha.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I bought my wife a mountain bike off of ebay. It is a bit risky because there is no chance to ride it to see how it fits nor a real inspection.

Basically it was a nearly unused 2001 Trek 8000 for $400 + $65 shipping. Great shape, weighs in at around 26lbs so she doesn't have to try and peddle a cheap sled around. I added a rapid rise derailleur (thumb = harder, finger = easier) and some platform peddles and she is elated with it.

But...

I had her ride our son's older mountain bike to see if she even wanted/could ride on any trail. She has ridden a road bike for quite a while so she can ride some.

If you can, see if you can borrow a mountain bike to see if she even wants to ride in the dirt. If she goes out and hates it, you can then get her a hybrid for riding paved paths. Probably find a lighter bike for less.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    delete

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheArcane View Post
    I recently acquired my first MTB that is not Walmart/Consumer quality, and ended up with the Specialized HardRock SE 29, which I am quite happy with so far. Needless to say I think my home has been bitten by the biking bug, and now my wife would like a little bit better quality bike. I know that I'm being kind of tight on my budget, but frankly I don't have a ton of money to drop, especially after I already got a new bike for myself. I'm wanting to stay under the $400 mark if at all possible, and like I said I know that's a stretch. I've tried to do some craigslist searching, but unfortunately the area I live in doesn't seem to have an abundance of non-mongoose or huffy options. So I tried to do something searching for peoples opinions of a more budget mtb that is at least better quality than I'd be getting at Walmart. I found the Vilano Blackjack 29er, which I can get for $329 on amazon. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on this bike, or other options that would compare.

As far as terrain, I see us doing a combination of street/commuting as well as some average hiking trails along the North Umpqua. Nothing too hardcore for now, we'll worry about upgrading down the line haha.

Thanks!
    Take her to your LBS, let her ride a few bikes and see what fits her best. She should be the one with the final say on this. I wouldn't get her a bike online without riding it first.

mtbr member
    What size bike would you wife need? If she's relatively small, like in the 5'5 range, you can check out

2009 16" Norco Katmandu *Sweet Deal*

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    What size bike would you wife need? If she's relatively small, like in the 5'5 range, you can check out

2009 16" Norco Katmandu *Sweet Deal*
    She is on the smaller side and is 5'4, with a 30" leg. I had her sit on a couple with a 17" frame and it seemed to work well for her. Good find up in Eugene, I'll have to check that one out

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've ridden the North Umpqua ,it's far from a easy/begineer trail .Any new bike in that price range is going to have a poor fork for any real trail riding. Check with the shops ,they might be able to help.