1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Maintenance of low-end Susp. Fork

I have two bikes, a 26" and a 29", both hardtails with low-end suspension forks on them. They're both ridden about an equal amount because I like to switch up every few months. The 26" has a Rockshox DartII with a preload adjust (on top of left stanchion), The 29" has a Suntour SR (nvx-mlo)with preload adj. (on top of left stanchion) and a lockout lever (on top of rt. stanchion). My question is, do these forks require some periodic maintenance? Besides occasionally bottoming out neither fork has any real issue. I know they are both severely upgradable, but that won't be happening anytime soon. Any Info. from someone who has had this done to a similar type fork?, or any bikeshop mechanics who could fill me in on what needs to be done and how much it should reasonably cost, or if it's a DIY project? (I do most work on my bikes but I know some stuff is best left to professionals) Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Both forks fall into the category of 'replace when dead'.

You can open them up (like you should with all forks) and empty the oil, clean them up, and refill them (amounts vary according to fork). You may be able to replace the wipers.

That said, that's the extent of the maintenance you can do. A bike shop will happily take your money to service the forks, but what will be charged is so close to buying a new fork that it will likely not be worth the trouble.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Don't throw it out so quickly. There's supposed to be some new trade up program from Suntour to upgraded to "higher end" Suntour air-sprung forks.

Info from the Suntour rep here : Fork Help

-S

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    These forks are considered disposable by many. That said, you can certainly tune the Dart 2 to better match your weight. I don't know what you weigh, but I think the Dart ships stock with a medium spring, which will work for a big portion of riders. But they also sell a soft and firm spring too. Something to consider if you weight outside of the medium spring rate range.

Amazon.com: RockShox Dart Coil Spring Soft Black: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the responses so far. I don't know how to do this fancy thing where you quote certain parts of certain replies, so if anyone cares to elaborate to answer these questions...(1)Where would I get fork oil and/or the wiper/seals? (2)I noticed in the "old thread" (that seems pretty informative) that there was nothing mentioned at all about fork oil, nor was it apparent in any of the pic's.(3) I'm pretty sure that a firmer spring would work better for me, but first i'd like to get past servicing these things before I start trying to "tune" them. and (4) Of course I'd like to just upgrade, but from what I can tell, the more you spend on a suspension fork, the more important it is to do this kind of maintenance, so I'd like to do what I can to keep these forks working as designed, and when I'm in a position to be able to upgrade I'll hopefully be able to do my own maintenance on those as well.

mtbr member
    Rockshox Service manual here

dart 3 fork question?

Suntour manuals here look around to find the manual you need
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 12-26-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    good info...