1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Maintenance FAIL!

So today before a ride I decide to oil my chain. It looked okay, and wasn't making any noise, but since I hadn't done it in a while and just found my bottle of Nyoil I figured what the heck.

So I go for my ride, and as I'm cruising by the beach I see the tide has recently gone out. And that smooth sand was just too temping! So I had a great ride along the beach on the nice firm sand, then decided to see how far I could make it in the soft sand leading back to the road.

Yeah, wrong move. Made it about 5 feet till the front wheel washed out, then walked the rest of the way. Get back on the road, and as soon as I start peddaling, I hear Grrrrinnnd, grinnnnnd... I look down and great, about half the beach is now stuck to my freshly oiled chain.

D'oh!

Note to self.... Stay off the beach!! (and oil AFTER riding!)

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Note to you:

Do not use petro based oil. Use paraffin based chain lube.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Parafin, eh?

Well the stuff I used is a highly refined mineral oil....the company I work for makes it. Supposed to be great for this application, as well as cleaning guns, or so I hear. I think I just used too much, at the wrong time.

I'll check it out though, thanks for the tip!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Whatever you choose, apply the product to the rollers and wipe off the excess. Lube + grit = expensive drivetrain replacement.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was in such a hurry to get out and start my ride I forgot to wipe!

Oh wait, that sounds pretty bad, haha!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    Note to you:

Do not use petro based oil. Use paraffin based chain lube.
    good to know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    There are pluses and minuses to wax based and oil based lubes. To put it simply, seems as though road bikers like tru flo type lube. Oil lube with Teflon so it doesn't wash right off. MTB riders like wax based lubes that don't attract dirt. Oil Lubes don't last as long though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Parafin, eh?

Well the stuff I used is a highly refined mineral oil....the company I work for makes it. Supposed to be great for this application, as well as cleaning guns, or so I hear. I think I just used too much, at the wrong time.

I'll check it out though, thanks for the tip!
    Ive been using gun oil as well. Slip2000 specifically. I have the cleanest chains on the 3 bikes I'm lubing. I'm sure there are better products out there, I do have a lot of this stuff.
    What oil are you using? If you don't mind me asking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    Ive been using gun oil as well. Slip2000 specifically. I have the cleanest chains on the 3 bikes I'm lubing. I'm sure there are better products out there, I do have a lot of this stuff.
    What oil are you using? If you don't mind me asking.
    It's a product the company I work for makes, this particular bottle is labeled as C2 Chain Oil. Upon further inspection it's spec'd for Concept 2 rowing machines and fitness equipment chains.

Great oil, but maybe not for applications that are exposed to sand and grit such as bicycle chains. I'll have to pick up a mtb specific product to usefrom now on.