1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Maintenance bible

Is there a book or guide that you guys could recommend to a newbie that covers mtn bike maintenance? I've seen books like Zinn and the art of mtn bike maintenance but I'm not sure what to do. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

they offer a printed version as well for something like 30bux.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by somexiridemybike View Post
    Is there a book or guide that you guys could recommend to a newbie that covers mtn bike maintenance? I've seen books like Zinn and the art of mtn bike maintenance but I'm not sure what to do. Thanks all.
    I've got 2 edition of Zinns but I ended up just asking here to confirm and YouTube as well as the trusted ParkTool website. I also have some cheesy iPhone apps for a quick refference on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Youtube

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog

they offer a printed version as well for something like 30bux.
    I also recommend, has helped me a lot along the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    +1 for Park's Big Blue book

mtbr member
    Good to know thanks guys. I found it at EMS for i think 25 ish. I will have to swing by and look at it.